Hornady finally come through!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was in the neighborhood of 5 months for mine too. Maybe a little longer even, I just remember that I had damn near forgot them when the shipping notice came. I bought a set of dies with my press and got 1100 230 grain XTP's! :woot:

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to jack the thread but how does everyone like the Hornady press? I'm thinking about getting one but can't decide on the Hornady or Dillon. I like the idea that switching inbetween calibers is less expensive on the Hornday press. What do you guys think?

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On my last free bullet order I called them after about a month and they said they were all out of the 185gr .45 XTP's, but they had the 230gr in stock if I wanted to upgrade to those free of charge. I got the 230's sent out the next day. Might be worth a call to see what they have in stock.

I'm happy with my LNL, I think EZject made a big improvement over the older version. Everytime I have called tech support they have sent out any parts I have needed free and there have been several.

longrangepistol

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to jack the thread but how does everyone like the Hornady press? I'm thinking about getting one but can't decide on the Hornady or Dillon. I like the idea that switching inbetween calibers is less expensive on the Hornday press. What do you guys think?

GMAR here's a review of the Hornady, Lee, RCBS and Dillon.

I've owned the, RCBS Rockchucker, Lee Progressive 1000, Hornady Lock n Load AP and now a Dillon 650.

RCBS Rockchucker: Great started reloader not very fast but if you are precision reloading (ie. benchrest, high power etc.) this is a good inexpensive way to start. NOT a high volume reloader

Lee Progressive 1000: My first progressive reloader, loaded .45 ACP exclusively. It's a little finicky with the primer system, mostly plastic and aluminum but inexpensive, was able to load about 450 rounds per hour.

Hornady Lock n Load AP (w/ case feeder): Purchased this reloader new in Sept. 2008. Loaded exclusively .45 ACP. Fast reloader well made, nice and HEAVY but..... it has it's quirks. Mainly the primer system. If you didn't keep it absolutely free of even a grain or two of powder or dust it would jam. The priming system uses a single priming plate that slides back and forth to pick up the primers one at a time. The case feeder was not as positive as I would have liked it to be. Once the case dropped from the feeder tube it was slid into station One by a V shaped piece across a flat surface with a perpendicular groove before entering the first station. If the Press was not mounted to a very solid counter (2-3" thick) if would wobble and the case would sometimes feed incorrectly into station one. When this press was perfectly clean and loading I could load about 600 rounds per hour.

Dillon XL-650 (w/ case feeder): I purchased a USED 650 (8 year old press) from an OKC Gun Club member. Mounted it side by side with my Hornandy Lock n Load AP press and compared them. The Dillon is mechanically better designed from the ground up. Primer system: The Dillon uses a rotary plate whereby the primers are loaded and rotated into position directly under the priming ram. The case feed on the Dillon is 100%. Once the case drops onto the ram the case is slid/fed into a plate that contacts the case at the rim and positively aligns it with station One. With the Dillon 650 I have been able to load 1200 rounds per hour.

I was lucky on finding a used 650 for a deal ($600.00 with the case feeder). I sold my Hornady Lock n Load on Ebay and got most of my money back.

The conversion kits for the Dillon are more to set up but worth the money in not having to fool with tinkering with the press when you could be out shooting. I've been able to find them on Ebay and on this site for about $40.00, they retail for $71.00.

LRP

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the heck out of mine. The caliber changeover is very fast and easy thanks to the lock-n-load bushings. But what I really like is the powder measure. You can buy the metering inserts and keep one preset for each caliber. They are truly quick change and can be kept with you dies. Caliber change over takes literally 3 minutes total if you are not changing primer size.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi gmar,

How much volume are you planning per month?

Do you need a case feeder?

I think all presses have their fans. My favorite is the Dillon 550 and it does everything I need.

Good luck,

Alan

Latest posts

Top Bottom