Hornady finally come through!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi gmar,

How much volume are you planning per month?

Do you need a case feeder?

I think all presses have their fans. My favorite is the Dillon 550 and it does everything I need.

Good luck,

Alan

Right now I'm only loading .223 and 6.5 Grendel but in the future I want to start loading .45 ACP, so a case feeder may be handy in the future. Right now I don't expect to load more than 1000 per month but that could always increase so I can shoot more :). I was thinking of getting a progressive loade for .223 and .45 as using a single stage press gets very time consuming and it would be nice to knock everything out in a hour or so.

Thanks for all the advice and reviews....I appreciate it!

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi gmar,

I hear you about single stage, loading pistol on it would get old very quick IMHO.

Have you read through this page:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html

It compares the various Dillon presses and makes recommendations. Does not cover the LNL, but after reading this page you search for many of the 650 vs LNL pages out there. I personally like Dillon stuff (not having any experience with LNL) and they have always treated me right.

I'll bet you could get by find on a 550 without a casefeeder, but a 650 or LNL with casefeeder would be faster.

Good luck,

Alan

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to hear some first hand experience with powder drops LNL vs Dillon. I've read several complain of the powder drop on the Dillon.
I priced the 650 with case feeder and 3 caliber change outs to the LNL with the same and it was a substanial savings to the Hornady. Plus the free bullets are a bonus, which I sold for $200 making the price even more attractive.
I'd really like to run a 650 though its paces to compare, but I have no major complaints on the LNL.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I priced a 9mm Dillon 650 Caliber conversion

Dies $61.95
Caliber Conversion Kit $75.95
Toolhead and Powder Die $35.45
Casefeed Plate: Pistol, Small $37.95
For a total of $211.19
That's for each caliber.

YIKES! :cry11:

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

For comparison, 550 Caliber Conversion:

Dies $61.95
Caliber Conversion Kit $43.95
Toolhead and Powder Die $31.45
For a total of $137.35

Get some Lee dies at midway instead and it drops to:

Dies $36.99
Caliber Conversion Kit $43.95
Toolhead and Powder Die $31.45
For a total of $112.39

FWIW, I like the Lee dies better than the Dillon in 9mm. They put a better taper size on the 9mm case (it IS slightly tapered). Dillon 9mm dies tend to try to turn the 9mm case into a straightwall case. Best dies hands down for 9mm are Redding Pro Series ($99).

Good luck,

Alan

Latest posts

Top Bottom