Hot weather and sun tea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

Is anyone besides me taking advantage of this hot weather and making sun tea?
I've had an old glass pickle jar with a lid for years and started using it this summer.

My wife, the city girl that she is...didn't know anything about sun tea. Well, I taught
her. She had a few mistakes....one was making it an setting it in our drive way.
No-no...don't want the neighborhood kids adding extra ingredients amd then the
looks we got from our uppity neighbors...they think we're hillbillies.

Even though my wife is eleven years younger than me, I think I got her trained on
making the easiest thing in the world.....in the back yard.

So, anyone making sun tea in this weather??

Cohiba

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So does your sun tea taste like pickles?

I always rinse mine out with pickle juice before I start - tangy!

One of the things that the wife brought when she moved in was a large glass pickle jar. I'd thought about making some but had forgotten all about it. My Dad used to "make" it all the time when I was a kid.

I know what I'll do tomorrow..

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's all my mom made during the warmer months when growing up. If it was a bit cool outside she'd put a tea jug on a warm window sill. I remember sitting and watching the clear water turn to tea brown.

But as with anything and everything that's fun and delicious, there are health concerns with making sun tea and that's the sun promoting bacteria growth. So if you're worried about that, make your sun tea in a sterile glass jar and boil it for a few minutes after it's done and place in a separate serving container. My mom never did this and we never had stringy, syrupy tea nor do I remember any one of us getting sick from it, but whatever.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I make tea on the stove. we go through so much (a gallon a day, approximately) I would quickly spend all my free time rotating and washing jars!

Oh, the gallon is between my wife, 2 year old son, and I. We do decaf and use maybe a 1/4 of sugar for the whole gallon (just to cut any bitterness). That way we aren't bouncing off the walls all day.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of it 'till you mentioned it. Thanks for the tip. At least something good can come out of this satanic heat.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I make tea on the stove. we go through so much (a gallon a day, approximately) I would quickly spend all my free time rotating and washing jars!

Oh, the gallon is between my wife, 2 year old son, and I. We do decaf and use maybe a 1/4 of sugar for the whole gallon (just to cut any bitterness). That way we aren't bouncing off the walls all day.

I make a 3 gallon jug using Lipton "Iced Tea Brew" bags once or twice a week. I use 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4-1/2 cup of local honey, depending on my mood. 95% of it is drank by me, the wife will have a glass or two a week, at most, and the kiddo 0-1 cups a week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom