Houston... We have a problem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Problem solved. I've already mentioned how I don't like to kill animals just because they're doing what they naturally do. I felt I didn't have a choice. Don't want my dogs getting sprayed or catching some disease.

About an hour after I found it I went out to check the yard. Yep...she (I think) was out there wandering around. Head shot with the 11-87 worked...no scent at all. I feel bad about doing it but I felt it was best for my dogs. Thanks for the advice and PMs.
Glad your problem was solved. Keep an eye out for more though. Can't believe it didn't spray when shot.
I've shot dozens with every caliber/guage on the markets an never had one expire without spraying.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was concerned about that. I waited until it turned towards me. It was instant and painless...I hope. Even when I went out and picked it up I couldn't really smell anything other than the normal smell of the skunk.

Dogs didn't even react to it after I let them out again. Maybe I got lucky. I hate that I had to do that.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was concerned about that. I waited until it turned towards me. It was instant and painless...I hope. Even when I went out and picked it up I couldn't really smell anything other than the normal smell of the skunk.

Dogs didn't even react to it after I let them out again. Maybe I got lucky. I hate that I had to do that.

Yeah, it didnt bother me too much when I was younger to dispatch nuisance animals. I dont know if it is moving closer to town and realizing we are moving in on top of their already established homes or just becoming more aware of the role everything plays, but it bothers me now. I do everything I can to discourage them from hanging out directly around the house and relocate as much as I can.

When I lived on the farm, the intersection 100yds from the house was a busy corner for dumping dogs. We would try to call animal control, but they said we had to have them tied up before they would make the drive. Some could be caught, but some were either so eat up with mange and parasites or too aggressive to catch and I would have to put them down before they got in our cattle. I hated it every single time.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just noticed the plumber we had out here a few months ago left a piece of the skirting of our house laying on the ground under the front deck. It's difficult to see unless you're looking directly under there.

Unfortunately, the neighborhood skunk must've been looking directly under there. For the last two nights one of my Corgis has been going batty about something under the deck. Tonight I saw it. Hoping it was a possum. Nope.

Now what?
You might also be able to move the problem on down the road without becoming a skunk murderer by throwing a double handful of mothballs under there. Skunks have very sensitive noses and seem to hate the smell of mothballs. That has worked for me a couple of times over the years. After a few days to be sure they're not coming back, seal up the hole. I've read that coarse ground red pepper works, too.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it didnt bother me too much when I was younger to dispatch nuisance animals. I dont know if it is moving closer to town and realizing we are moving in on top of their already established homes or just becoming more aware of the role everything plays, but it bothers me now. I do everything I can to discourage them from hanging out directly around the house and relocate as much as I can.

When I lived on the farm, the intersection 100yds from the house was a busy corner for dumping dogs. We would try to call animal control, but they said we had to have them tied up before they would make the drive. Some could be caught, but some were either so eat up with mange and parasites or too aggressive to catch and I would have to put them down before they got in our cattle. I hated it every single time.

I get it. I understand why it needs to be done sometimes. I just don't like doing it. I used to hunt all the time, I've dispatched countless elk and deer that had been hit on the road. But as I get older I've come to believe that life has value. Everything has a purpose. The purpose is distasteful to some of us...but that doesn't change the fact it's a natural purpose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom