How many backup mags do you carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The G43x stock just plain sucks to shoot. VERY snappy, even with the full length grip. The trigger slap was HORRENDOUS!!!! Bought a Griffin Armament threaded barrel and Micro Comp in hopes that the Micro Comp would tame it some. It Works great and its now a pleasure to shoot. Cost $185 to make it shootable though. Lost a little bit of accuracy going from polygonal rifling to standard rifling though.

The G48 is great as is, though not a fan of the standard mags. The only mod I did to it was install a Vickers Tactical Ghost extended slide release, and a Hyve extended mag release. I have Shield Arms mags for both the 43x and 48

The shield Plus isnt great out of the box. Its a pleasure to shoot out of the box but I have a few issues with it. The trigger feels like total junk during take up but has a very clean break. Also the pivot pin for the trigger safety is also a bit low so you have to place your finger lower on the trigger than one normally would or the trigger safety wont activate. Its just something I have to train for.

The grip on the Shield Plus sucks. Im ready to quit shooting it after the 1st box of ammo. I currently have a bike innertube sleeve over the grip which isnt Ideal. Tried other grip sleeves and they make the grip too fat and squishy for me. Im thinking that in the end, I will end up sanding the grip down to a comfortable level

Shield Plus isnt as accurate as the 43x or 48 ( I have the 4in Performance Center Shield Plus ) but again, I think thats do to the polygonal rifling of the Glock barrels

In the end, the 48 is my preference. My daughter and brother both have the Shield Plus so I will occasionally (Family outings ) carry the Shield Plus
I had to install a flush trigger safety on my 43x. I hated it before that.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It freaking hurt my trigger shooting more than a few rounds without that mod. My 44 mags were far more pleasant.
LOL Yep. My wife fired one round out of it (before the mods) and said, "Nope"

Had near the same problem with the Sig P365. Not the trigger, but the trigger guard dug into my middle finger REALLY bad when shooting. The XL on the other hand, shoots fantastic

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Currently I carry a 43x. I just throw an extra mag in my pocket but was thinking about getting a IWB mag holder since I carry my 43x in a crossbreed IWB holster.

I saw there’s some offerings in a single or double mag holder. Seeing what your all’s opinions are on backup mags.
I too carry a G43X. Love it. Mags load easily nice with 10 plus one. Carry it in a Galco cross draw and also carry a Kimber .45 OWB on my right hip in Kydex. Two mags for each weapon. In winter Miami Classic II shoulder holster with the two mag holder.
Bravo concealment mag carrier with a 20 round mag and a 19 rd mag in the gun. If I cant deal with a problem with that then Im in a stupid situation 😂 I firmly believe that carrying a gun isnt about your comforts, its about having the best tools for a task. Clint Smith has a good point, dont carry extra mags for ammo capacity alone but in the event a magazine fails you have another!

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing your comparison of those three pistols.

I carry a G48 and I can't imagine liking anything more than it but I've been curious about the Shield Plus.

I don't usually carry a spare mag even though I probably should.
Glock 48 is a great pistol. I still have one with stainless slide but went to G43X for lighter/ better concealment. Grip size same as G48. Wish Glock would make one like the G48 in .45 Caliber..

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The G43x stock just plain sucks to shoot. VERY snappy, even with the full length grip. The trigger slap was HORRENDOUS!!!! Bought a Griffin Armament threaded barrel and Micro Comp in hopes that the Micro Comp would tame it some. It Works great and its now a pleasure to shoot. Cost $185 to make it shootable though. Lost a little bit of accuracy going from polygonal rifling to standard rifling though.

The G48 is great as is, though not a fan of the standard mags. The only mod I did to it was install a Vickers Tactical Ghost extended slide release, and a Hyve extended mag release. I have Shield Arms mags for both the 43x and 48

The shield Plus isnt great out of the box. Its a pleasure to shoot out of the box but I have a few issues with it. The trigger feels like total junk during take up but has a very clean break. Also the pivot pin for the trigger safety is also a bit low so you have to place your finger lower on the trigger than one normally would or the trigger safety wont activate. Its just something I have to train for.

The grip on the Shield Plus sucks. Im ready to quit shooting it after the 1st box of ammo. I currently have a bike innertube sleeve over the grip which isnt Ideal. Tried other grip sleeves and they make the grip too fat and squishy for me. Im thinking that in the end, I will end up sanding the grip down to a comfortable level

Shield Plus isnt as accurate as the 43x or 48 ( I have the 4in Performance Center Shield Plus ) but again, I think thats do to the polygonal rifling of the Glock barrels

In the end, the 48 is my preference. My daughter and brother both have the Shield Plus so I will occasionally (Family outings ) carry the Shield Plus
Wow not much to like about Shield Plus is there? Glock 48 is a great pick for a Top Gun but gets bypassed for G17 and G19's because almost everybody wants Hi Capacity handguns because that way if they miss with 15 rounds they have at least 3-4 rounds left to miss with. The guy (Dickson?) that shot the Mall Shooter in Indiana from 45-50 yards away hitting the perp 8 out of 10 times proves its how practice makes perfect not how many rounds down range count. The G43X is just has a little snap unless one is recoil sensitive and it would be like shooting my Colt Officers .45 with a 3.5 inch barrel in comparing recoil to the 43X.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow not much to like about Shield Plus is there? Glock 48 is a great pick for a Top Gun but gets bypassed for G17 and G19's because almost everybody wants Hi Capacity handguns because that way if they miss with 15 rounds they have at least 3-4 rounds left to miss with. The guy (Dickson?) that shot the Mall Shooter in Indiana from 45-50 yards away hitting the perp 8 out of 10 times proves its how practice makes perfect not how many rounds down range count. The G43X is just has a little snap unless one is recoil sensitive and it would be like shooting my Colt Officers .45 with a 3.5 inch barrel in comparing recoil to the 43X.
Ill still take the extra rds

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I remember one time at Paul Abel's range (the man who taught me everything I know) one of our LEOs had on his duty rig, with his Glock 17 and one of those Safariland triple mag pouches...

775magsangle.jpg

Paul asked him, "damn son, are you that bad of a shot?"

Of course the officer replied with the classic response, "I'd rather have too many than not enough."

Paul told him, "YOU are responsible for each and every round you fire. Not your agency, not the sheriff or DA...YOU. So if you fire sixty-something rlounds and only hit your target 10 or 20 times, you're probably gonna buy some old lady a brand new Cadillac, every year for the rest of your life."

Accuracy trumps mag capacity every time.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

Id probably never compare my 43x to a .45’s recoil. Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom