How many lives could have been saved in Hawaii for $50?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone is looking for someone to blame for this tragedy! From what I have heard on the fake news, the wind was 80/100 mph, enough to break power poles, and bring down power lines. This was likely the ignition source, starting fires in dozens of places, all at once! This also caused the loss of power that operates the water pumps, operates the warning sirens, the sensors, or manual switches used to activate all these things, lights, disrupted communications, blocked roads, etc. WHAT was the first responders suppose to do without communications, lights, water, with all, or most of the roads blocked? A fire with plenty of dry fuel, in 80/100 mph winds, travels 2/3 times faster than a person can run!!!!!!!! PANIC was another factor I'm sure!! When people panic, rational thought stops, and instinct takes over! Have you ever seen a rabbit run out in the road, and when you turn to mioss them, they cut back in front of you? This is an instinctive tactic that works well with a fox, not so much with a car! Hawaii is mostly liberal like California, and depend on SOMEONE ELSE TO TAKE CARE OF THEM, and therefore will DEMAND SOMEONE BE LYNCHED!!!!!!

Exactly, high wind, dry season, more lib than Kommiefornia. The perfect storm.

Listen to the survivors being interview, "seen fire, but NO ALARMS SOUNDING, NOBODY TOLD THEM TO EVACUATE, why didn't goobermint TELL them? What is goobermint doing to help them?"

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep one of these in my car and house. This one has a nice case and fire resistant gloves. The mask is $40

https://firemask.com/collections/fr...escape-hood-oxygen-mask-smoke-mask-respirator
I doubt that would have helped any more than a smoke detector - fire was moving through that town like a blow torch - very hot and very fast - if you didn't see it early and have the means to get out of the way you didn't make it - very sad but these disasters happen and sometimes their is little or nothing that can be done

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was Industrial Fire & Rescue. Level I through Level III, at Texas A&M. 4th trip, as an instructor.

In a fire, training is key. Panic sets in, even with training, things can get dicey. Situations change, quickly.

SCBA are "marketed" as 20 minutes of air available. We had a training session, going through a windowless, concrete building maze. No fire, no smoke, just total darkness. If you happen to run out of air, just remove mask. No danger.

One female was panicking before getting the pack. I was trying to calm her down. Told her the path to take. The air was clean.
I made sure the air bottle was full. She calmed down and got ready to suit up.

She got to the door. Turned on air. Put on mask and entered.

Inside, she got turned around and lost. The low air bell went off 7 minutes in.
We could hear her screams OUTSIDE the building. Turned on lights. I go in and find her. Curled in fetal position, screaming, mask on.

She never trained or fought fire again.

It takes a certain level of insanity.

Climbing a 100' ladder, swaying, in middle of a parking lot is an experience.
As they say, don't look down. You are out beyond the front of the truck, then you swing past the back, change directions, go to the front. Repeat, repeat, repeat......

Light bulb changers on those tall, radio towers are a whole nother level; fotal nucking tuts.

Ehhhhhh the towers are only rough the first 100 feet. In 81 WKYs was a training place! It did booger some up!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Retired Fire Service. It was a point thought silly comment about owning one. And you are correct, in an emergency people lose their wits and literally will run around in a home and die, let alone grab a piece of protection gear.
Like my 35 year firefighter Uncle told me, they would find kids dead under windows they could have escaped from by smashing them but the fear of being punished for breaking glass overcame their need to escape and the smoke got them.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone is looking for someone to blame for this tragedy! From what I have heard on the fake news, the wind was 80/100 mph, enough to break power poles, and bring down power lines. This was likely the ignition source, starting fires in dozens of places, all at once! This also caused the loss of power that operates the water pumps, operates the warning sirens, the sensors, or manual switches used to activate all these things, lights, disrupted communications, blocked roads, etc. WHAT was the first responders suppose to do without communications, lights, water, with all, or most of the roads blocked? A fire with plenty of dry fuel, in 80/100 mph winds, travels 2/3 times faster than a person can run!!!!!!!! PANIC was another factor I'm sure!! When people panic, rational thought stops, and instinct takes over! Have you ever seen a rabbit run out in the road, and when you turn to mioss them, they cut back in front of you? This is an instinctive tactic that works well with a fox, not so much with a car! Hawaii is mostly liberal like California, and depend on SOMEONE ELSE TO TAKE CARE OF THEM, and therefore will DEMAND SOMEONE BE LYNCHED!!!!!!
Oh stop with the political bashing for once. This was a fire probably started electrically and fanned by extreme winds that traveled incredibly fast over a fairly rural area that didn't have a lot of exit routes available.

A lot of people lost their lives due to several factors, all of which came together in a 'perfect storm'. Of course questions are going to be asked about what happened, who might have been to blame for certain failures, and what sort of help can be expected, from whom, and when will it arrive?

These are our fellow Americans that have suffered this [mostly] unavoidable tragedy, and I for one offer my prayers and thoughts to the survivors, and do so WITHOUT reference to their religion, politics, race, or lifestyle :angry3:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh stop with the political bashing for once. This was a fire probably started electrically and fanned by extreme winds that traveled incredibly fast over a fairly rural area that didn't have a lot of exit routes available.

A lot of people lost their lives due to several factors, all of which came together in a 'perfect storm'. Of course questions are going to be asked about what happened, who might have been to blame for certain failures, and what sort of help can be expected, from whom, and when will it arrive?

These are our fellow Americans that have suffered this [mostly] unavoidable tragedy, and I for one offer my prayers and thoughts to the survivors, and do so WITHOUT reference to their religion, politics, race, or lifestyle :angry3:
Lot's of blame being placed on the electric company for not turning off the power that day. I wonder if they even have a plan to do so in the event of extreme winds?

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like my 35 year firefighter Uncle told me, they would find kids dead under windows they could have escaped from by smashing them but the fear of being punished for breaking glass overcame their need to escape and the smoke got them.
I've also heard of children crawling back into a bed under the covers and dying of smoke inhalation because they became afraid of what was happening (the fire) and went to a place that [to them] was a 'safe' and comforting place to be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom