How many lives could have been saved in Hawaii for $50?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used an SCBA a few times and I was lucky to get 15 minutes out of a bottle. Getting it on correctly and quickly takes a bit of practice and there's no way a kid or an old person could even do it. I could go from standing next to all of the gear to fully suited up in turnouts, boots, flash hood, gloves, SCBA, and helmet in under a minute, but I worked like hell to get that fast. Then I learned that I was claustrophobic with all of that crap on in a smoke-filled room on my hands and knees in the dark with the mask covered with duct tape trying to navigate through a maze of turned over furniture. That was an awesome high school class though. The other students got a little jealous when they'd see us roll up in an engine, or taking a car apart with spreaders and cutters, or hanging off of the roof in rappelling harnesses, or having water fights with fire hoses.

Retired Fire Service. It was a point thought silly comment about owning one. And you are correct, in an emergency people lose their wits and literally will run around in a home and die, let alone grab a piece of protection gear.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was Industrial Fire & Rescue. Level I through Level III, at Texas A&M. 4th trip, as an instructor.

In a fire, training is key. Panic sets in, even with training, things can get dicey. Situations change, quickly.

SCBA are "marketed" as 20 minutes of air available. We had a training session, going through a windowless, concrete building maze. No fire, no smoke, just total darkness. If you happen to run out of air, just remove mask. No danger.

One female was panicking before getting the pack. I was trying to calm her down. Told her the path to take. The air was clean.
I made sure the air bottle was full. She calmed down and got ready to suit up.

She got to the door. Turned on air. Put on mask and entered.

Inside, she got turned around and lost. The low air bell went off 7 minutes in.
We could hear her screams OUTSIDE the building. Turned on lights. I go in and find her. Curled in fetal position, screaming, mask on.

She never trained or fought fire again.

It takes a certain level of insanity.

Climbing a 100' ladder, swaying, in middle of a parking lot is an experience.
As they say, don't look down. You are out beyond the front of the truck, then you swing past the back, change directions, go to the front. Repeat, repeat, repeat......

Light bulb changers on those tall, radio towers are a whole nother level; fotal nucking tuts.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A filtration mask won’t work in a smoke filled environment. You have to be able to inhale 18-21% oxygen just to survive.

Then consider the heat. As an example, the temperature of boiling water is 212 degrees, burning paper is 451 degrees. With materials of higher density and pushed with high winds the temperatures get hotter.

With the high winds and temperatures with little to nothing to stop it except the ocean it spreads until it runs out of fuel.

bigb159

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was Industrial Fire & Rescue. Level I through Level III, at Texas A&M. 4th trip, as an instructor.

In a fire, training is key. Panic sets in, even with training, things can get dicey. Situations change, quickly.

SCBA are "marketed" as 20 minutes of air available. We had a training session, going through a windowless, concrete building maze. No fire, no smoke, just total darkness. If you happen to run out of air, just remove mask. No danger.

One female was panicking before getting the pack. I was trying to calm her down. Told her the path to take. The air was clean.
I made sure the air bottle was full. She calmed down and got ready to suit up.

She got to the door. Turned on air. Put on mask and entered.

Inside, she got turned around and lost. The low air bell went off 7 minutes in.
We could hear her screams OUTSIDE the building. Turned on lights. I go in and find her. Curled in fetal position, screaming, mask on.

She never trained or fought fire again.

It takes a certain level of insanity.

Climbing a 100' ladder, swaying, in middle of a parking lot is an experience.
As they say, don't look down. You are out beyond the front of the truck, then you swing past the back, change directions, go to the front. Repeat, repeat, repeat......

Light bulb changers on those tall, radio towers are a whole nother level; fotal nucking tuts.
Just hang on for dear life, and enjoy the natural adrenaline rush we get when the brain thinks our time is up.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just hang on for dear life, and enjoy the natural adrenaline rush we get when the brain thinks our time is up.
Before moving into the concrete building, we had an old, portable, metal office building.

There was this one dude that scared to panic. Funny part, this dude looked like Shaq. He was huge.

His buddy, think Chris Rock, KNEW he was afraid of dark, afraid of fire, claustrophobic and defintely, not wanting to go into the building.

Chris Rock is part of the team setting up the maze. He puts in several pipes, above 99% of people's head, nose high for Shaq. He mounts a fake doorknob on a wall. The knob freewheels, turns, but does nothing. Just past fake knob, He HANGS a pair of coveralls, stuffed with hay.
There is a barrel with smoldering, diesel soaked hay in the building. Thick, black smoke.

Shaq is the last one to go through. Going in the door is locked. Only way out is opposite end of building. We are standing outside, listening to the banging and clanging. We hear a "got it" and see the wall ripple, as Shaq yanks on false door knob. He turns and walks into "hanging man", yells, " awwwww, he'll nawww." And a size 18 boot comes through the side of building. He emerges, looks around and sees Rock running. The chase is on, Shaq screaming, "you dead, MF!"

Fire training was usually FUN.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody heard yet what caused that house to explode in Pa? Could have been a build-up of natural gas, or someones homemade bomb factory, but I'm bettin' meth-lab.
Fire Fighters never know what could be in any structure fire!! I have been inside houses many times when ammo would start going off all round me in the dark, and smoke, and streaked my drawers!! ! The brass is suppose to travel further than the lead, and I guess that is correct? We had one fire fighter that was hit with a .22 brass, in the nose, and it went in deep enough he had to pull it out!

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone is looking for someone to blame for this tragedy! From what I have heard on the fake news, the wind was 80/100 mph, enough to break power poles, and bring down power lines. This was likely the ignition source, starting fires in dozens of places, all at once! This also caused the loss of power that operates the water pumps, operates the warning sirens, the sensors, or manual switches used to activate all these things, lights, disrupted communications, blocked roads, etc. WHAT was the first responders suppose to do without communications, lights, water, with all, or most of the roads blocked? A fire with plenty of dry fuel, in 80/100 mph winds, travels 2/3 times faster than a person can run!!!!!!!! PANIC was another factor I'm sure!! When people panic, rational thought stops, and instinct takes over! Have you ever seen a rabbit run out in the road, and when you turn to mioss them, they cut back in front of you? This is an instinctive tactic that works well with a fox, not so much with a car! Hawaii is mostly liberal like California, and depend on SOMEONE ELSE TO TAKE CARE OF THEM, and therefore will DEMAND SOMEONE BE LYNCHED!!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom