How many motorcyclists do we have here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a bike but Life has interfered with my riding for awhile.

I bought some new tires in June, 2019, and had a shop in Tulsa mount them. The tires were manufactured in 2018. I've put exactly 1,313 miles on them. My bike is stored, always, in my garage, and has never seen outdoors overnight. The rear tire is off the floor via the centerstand. The front tire rests on a carpet remnant (to prevent the cement from leeching the tire's oils).

Among serious motorcyclists, they're of the opinion that tires over five years old should be replaced. That time countdown begins with the manufacture date. If the tires sit in the retailers warehouse for two years, then the rider has effectively only three years use.

If you ride a motorcycle, do you follow the above criteria?

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been riding motorcycles as my main form of transportation for years now, rain or shine, and here is what I can tell you that I believe. Is the tread in the tires good? Is there any visible dry rot? Are the tires holding air? If those 3 things are good, you should be fine. Remember, the companies that claim you HAVE to replace your tires every few years sell tires for a living. Now if I was gonna go on a cross country trip, I MIGHT replace the tires, but for day to day things or short day trips, I would say it's fine.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2010 Tri-Glide 1600 miles.
Tires are original. I’ll probably swap them out this year anyway.
IMG_0551.jpeg

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/who-rides-a-motorcycle.365952/

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been riding motorcycles as my main form of transportation for years now, rain or shine, and here is what I can tell you that I believe. Is the tread in the tires good? Is there any visible dry rot? Are the tires holding air? If those 3 things are good, you should be fine. Remember, the companies that claim you HAVE to replace your tires every few years sell tires for a living. Now if I was gonna go on a cross country trip, I MIGHT replace the tires, but for day to day things or short day trips, I would say it's fine.
I agree with this. I have some motorcycles that just don't get ridden much and I think one has tires from 2009, one 2011, and another 2013. I still ride them occasionally and they are in good shape. If I plan to drag a knee in the mountains on a sportbike or take a long trip on a cruiser, I do make sure I have new rubber.

SKATA

Leave the gun, take the cannoli
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I retired from Harley Davidson as the Director of Parts & Accessories. Tires and brakes are the last thing you need to scrimp on. Trust me on this as I have seen multiple instances of bad tires. You really only have about 2 square inches on the pavement. The rubber compounds in the tires can dry out over time. Heat and cold will accelerate that too. And they can also get spider cracking you might not see.
Of course sets of tires are pricey. And make sure you get the same brand front & back as you'll need the exact tread patterns to drive through rain. Check tire pressure every time you ride.
Hope my two cents helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom