How many motorcyclists do we have here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Defensive driving is what it's all about. Once learned it helps immensely when on 4 wheels

I’ve been stopped twice but highway patrol. Once near Shawnee in their ‘no tolerance’ zone. Clocked me going 72. I was going around a semi I refuse to ride behind nor beside a semi. I think he really disliked my modulated headlights.

The other time was Florida again because of modulated headlights. He thought they were illegal. Since I volunteered to turn them off and him giving me a warning I decided not to educate him ( I had a copy of the federal law). Funny thing. 5 miles down the road I turned them back on and then noticed a bike headed where I just came from with his l modulated lights. Maybe officer got educated after all.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rode on the dirt and the street since 15 years old. Probably rode on tires that should have been scrapped, but only had one flat on a street bike and that was on the goldwing rear tire. Picked up a nail. Strictly ride offroad now.
As far as tire expiration, I think a lot of it has to do where those tires are manufactured. In the RV industry, cheap chinese made tires are usually installed at the factories with speed ratings that most owners never look at. Called china bombs because they have a tendency to come apart at highway speeds, doing thousand of dollars in damage.
I would hope those manufacturing tires for bikes would make sure they put out a superior product, but It's all about the money with the import tires.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I belong to several RV groups on FB and it’s usually not more than a couple since the last time someone posted pics of the damage their chinabombs did to their trailers.
We have three RV friends that just bought new bumper pulls over the last two years. Every one of them has suffered a catastrophic tire failure even after we warned them that are only rated 60 mph.
Even pointed out the rating on the sidewalls, but they decided to play the odds.

kc4tatt

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a bike but Life has interfered with my riding for awhile.

I bought some new tires in June, 2019, and had a shop in Tulsa mount them. The tires were manufactured in 2018. I've put exactly 1,313 miles on them. My bike is stored, always, in my garage, and has never seen outdoors overnight. The rear tire is off the floor via the centerstand. The front tire rests on a carpet remnant (to prevent the cement from leeching the tire's oils).

Among serious motorcyclists, they're of the opinion that tires over five years old should be replaced. That time countdown begins with the manufacture date. If the tires sit in the retailers warehouse for two years, then the rider has effectively only

I have a bike but Life has interfered with my riding for awhile.

I bought some new tires in June, 2019, and had a shop in Tulsa mount them. The tires were manufactured in 2018. I've put exactly 1,313 miles on them. My bike is stored, always, in my garage, and has never seen outdoors overnight. The rear tire is off the floor via the centerstand. The front tire rests on a carpet remnant (to prevent the cement from leeching the tire's oils).

Among serious motorcyclists, they're of the opinion that tires over five years old should be replaced. That time countdown begins with the manufacture date. If the tires sit in the retailers warehouse for two years, then the rider has effectively only three years use.

If you ride a motorcycle, do you follow the above criteria?
No! I've been riding motorcycles since 1970 and thank God I have never had a tire blowout! I check the carrass condition or damages constantly and check my air pressure! If I see major cracks from dry-rot or chunks missing, I'll change them out. But many of my motorcycles have older rubber (more than 5 years old) that I feel comfortable riding on. I may not ride on them over a 500 mile trip, but around locally I ride on them. Shops will talk you into buying new rubber all the time, if you'll take the bait due to age! I assume they are "SAFETY" conscience. I've rode on tires showing the belts, which isn't a wise choice! Chances are, if that tire goes down, you will go down too! Use common sense when riding!

kc4tatt

Marksman
Reaction score

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have replaced the front ones several times, due to faster wear on my GoldWing Trike, the rears tires are original from dealer, seem to last forever, dry-rot before they wear out!
Yeah I’m watching them, but 14-15 year old tires have my attention and just for peace of mind I’ll probably swap them out soon anyway.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP here. I went ahead and ordered a new set of tires. Just ... because. Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring T32.

BTW. On their website, Bridgestone says the usable life expectancy of their tires is 10 years. Ironic, huh?

Edited to add: Just for grins, the bike.

Attachments

• TIGER RIGHT.JPG
    TIGER RIGHT.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom