A car tire, on a motorcycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went and looked at a FJR today. I must admit I can see myself with one. Thats hard to say since I like my fatboy so much.
The FJR is a sweet machine, FORsure!!!

Ha! I really wasn't trying to be. I just wanted to point out that some people can lay "cruisers" over pretty far and I just don't see how this car tire conversion could possibly be safe. You can preach that lots of other people have done it and that's fine but what happens when you have to do an avoidance move and drop it over hard? I'd rather buy tires more often then sacrifice handling even if they would only be in those 1% occasions.
Just giving you a hard time...lol.
Ohhh, you must have missed it. You must first state the number of years you've ridden, the number of miles spent riding, and the number of bikes you've owned. Until that happenes your opinion is worthless in this thread...lol.:wink2:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey flatwins, do you actually have an old boxer?? Those where awesome bikes. I like there old enduro bikes, BMW kind of invented the enduro. There was an episode of Twist The Throttle on a few weeks ago about the BMW and its history. Good show, very interesting.

Yessir I do. I have a '78 R100RS, a '77 R100/7, a '63 R60/2 and half interest in a '71 R50/5. We had a Tech Day for Airheads in Edmond the Sat. before last. I kinda like the old things. I've ridden some of the old GS's (dual purpose bikes). Pretty cool. I guy at work has one of the new hexhead GS Adventures and I rode it around a little one afternoon. They feel like the old Airheads but are totally different.

Also have an 08 KLR, a couple of '89 KX250s and a '82 XR200R.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was just giving my opinion. Sorry you don't think I know what I'm talking about.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now i know why people can't stand you YG. Oh, I forgot to put lol in there to make it all ok. Sorry, what was I thinking?

Flatwins, I would like to see that 63. Have you got any pics you could share. I went to tech school with a guy that had an old 77 R100. That was a cool bike. I always liked the way they sounded, and the way they looked. Kind of like a boat motor laying down. Real clean lines and kind of future tech in a way.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just giving Josh a hard time...
That being said, I would put his riding skills above anyone else's that I know. So I value his opinion, immensely.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to waste another post in this thread but geez man lighten up. You posted something, some people disagree with you, no need to get all worked up. This is how a discussion forum works. I broke down this week and decided to venture into GD. Now I know why I avoid it. My offer is still open... I'll ride your bike and if I can do box turns and iron crosses and double ninetys on it I'll admit I was wrong. Until then I think putting a car tire on a motorcycle is a bad idea and that's MY opinion and that is all.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oh, ok. You and Glocker are right. What was I thinking. I will go out and take that tire off right now. After all, I did ask for your opinion.

I am still waiting on any information about car tire on a motorcycle causing an accident.

Again, you guys have stated it before and it baffles me, you remind me about how discussion forms work, and I am doing the same thing you are, discussing a subject. Mr Glocker made a sarcastic remark, and I followed suit. But it is ok how you guys do it but not me. Hmm.

Oh, and Josh, do you do box turns and iron crosses, and double 90s every time you ride? Didn't think so. SO why should doing that have any bearing on how good this tire is?? And I am not getting all worked up. I just don't give in just because someone tries to bs there way into or through a subject, present company excepted of course.

Besides, I have all the proof I need. I have a car tire on my bike. I like the way it rides. It works for the way I ride, it works well on my bike. It handles great, actually, it handles much better than the old stone did. And that is that.

One last thing, there are guys on this forum who know me quite well personally and they know that it takes a lot more than this kind of stuff to get me ruffled. But nice try.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm... it would appear you got all worked up and ruffled and I didn't even read pages 2 through 8.

I didn't try to "bs" you into anything. I will repeat myself once again..... MY OPINION IS THAT THIS IS LESS SAFE THEN HAVING A MOTORCYCLE TIRE. This is a discussion forum where people type their opinion. We are not always going to agree. I'm not sure what the problem is here? I'm not sure why you are asking proof or wanting stats or whatever? I didn't question your opinion. I only stated my opinion of the use of a car tire on a motorcycle. If you didn't want to discuss it then you shouldn't have posted it.

Also, I get paid to ride a motorcycle for a living so yes I do do the equivalent of those things I listed on an almost daily basis.

So is it possible for you to just read someone's post and come back with a reply of oh I don't know maybe something like.... "I disagree with you but thanks for your input." .... instead of what you have been posting?

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've owned;
honda 50
hodaka wombat 125
Bultaco pursang 360
suzuki rm125
a '38 ariel square four basket case.
yamaha 750 seca
yamaha 11 special (twice)
yamaha FJ1200
and most recently a Honda Reflex 250 scooter

I've ridden since I was 4, so 33 years.
I have never been a distance rider. D/FW and back several times but that's about it. I couldn't calculate miles if I had to.

I have been in three motorcycle accidents. Hit by a car twice (both hit and runs) and screwing around off-road once. I have many scars to prove it.

My take on this whole thing is that I don't see a problem for long-haul riding but I also see Josh's point. It's simply a design issue. That being said, the dunlop Don's using on his looks lik ea narrow version of what I run on my vw and they have plenty of sidewall with minimal roll.

my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom