How much and how often should you water your lawn?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One inch per week on lawns....Irrigation should be used as a supplement to the rain we get. If it rains half an inch you only need to add another half inch.

This and cutting your lawn to the correct height are the most important things to keeping a healthy lawn. Most people water too often and not enough which encourages shallow root growth.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or just cutting your yard in general. I am leaving a letter at my neighbors today after work asking them to mow their yard. I just dont understand how people buy $200k+ homes and then completely neglect the yard and the home. If you want to be a home owner you need to understand that there are responsibilities when you own a home and one of those is taking care of your yard and mowing it at least once every week to 10 days.

Grrrrr...!!!!!

Now off of my box, we water ours at least 2 times a week, I cut the grass about once every 5-7 days and fertilize mine myself. I guess it is a pride thing, I like having a nice home with a nice looking yard in front of it.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I water my (landscaped) plants and flower garden every other day. I water the front lawn the days I don't water the gardens.

I also keep my grass unusually tall. Many of my neighbors keep their lawns trimmed down which hastens water evaporation. My grass usually looks greener in the hotter months.

I'll also say that this whole lawn/landscaping/gardening thing is new to me. I've killed more plants (via trial and error) than Georgia Pacific.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Living out in the country on an acreage with a well - I don't water anything except the garden. Didn't plant anything this year though so not watering anything this year.

I have a notion of what I would like to do if I weren't married and it wasn't prohibitively expensive - cover everything with asphalt and paint the asphalt green.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually they suggest watering concrete only during the curing process. After it's done, you don't need to water, just broom it off every once and a while and voila...

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or just cutting your yard in general. I am leaving a letter at my neighbors today after work asking them to mow their yard. I just dont understand how people buy $200k+ homes and then completely neglect the yard and the home. If you want to be a home owner you need to understand that there are responsibilities when you own a home and one of those is taking care of your yard and mowing it at least once every week to 10 days.

Grrrrr...!!!!!

Now off of my box, we water ours at least 2 times a week, I cut the grass about once every 5-7 days and fertilize mine myself. I guess it is a pride thing, I like having a nice home with a nice looking yard in front of it.

Please let me know which neighborhood you live in so I never make the mistake of living near enough to you to get one of those letters.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Grrrrr...!!!!!

Are you going to sign it? If they're home are you just going to ring the door bell and tell them to their face? I'm just wondering. I try to keep my yard looking as good as any neighbor I have, but if someone left a letter I would hope they signed it so I would know who I could tell to kiss my whatever..

Latest posts

Top Bottom