How much are COWS worth???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tranquilizer dart is necessary for this project.
I thought of this also. We had a situation where a longhorn bull got a round bale feeder stuck on his head - no idea how he got them horns in there cause we had to trim one of them to get it off. Anyway, no one could get near him, he was pissed and slinging this large piece of steal all around and tearing things up. The vet came with a dart gun and put him to sleep. We trimmed about an inch off one horn and got the feeder off. It was quite the deal but in your situation, you would then be trying to load a docile cow that is going to lay down until the drugs wear off.
I would find some corral panels and set them up in the shade with some water and grain and bait them in. May take several days of "gaining their trust" so they wont run out when they see you.
Otherwise maybe the vet could use a dart with a "light" dose so she wont want to lay down then lead her into a trailer with a rope.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone remember Mutual of Omaha's WILD KINGDOM? Marlin Perkins and his buddy Jim,wouldn't have no problem figgerin this thing out.You shoot Marlin an email and that cow will be relaxing with a tranquilizer dart in her fundament before you can say Jack Robinson. Lots of good advise you're getting here.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow you guys sure are some characters. Thanks for the advice.

UPDATE from gramps is that they are having a field day eating up all the newly seeded grass. He also put in some irrigation to water the grass a couple weeks ago an they chewed up the spout and caused flooding in parts of the field. Oh yea, the newly erected light poles he put up have been used as back and hind scruubbers by the looks of it.

He is definitely not happy, I may have to look more into the butchering option once he gets through with them.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow you guys sure are some characters. Thanks for the advice.

UPDATE from gramps is that they are having a field day eating up all the newly seeded grass. He also put in some irrigation to water the grass a couple weeks ago an they chewed up the spout and caused flooding in parts of the field. Oh yea, the newly erected light poles he put up have been used as back and hind scruubbers by the looks of it.

He is definitely not happy, I may have to look more into the butchering option once he gets through with them.
There are many butchers that will come to you. As long as its walking when he gets there, you can shoot it and he can go to town with his knife. Tell him you have 3 and he will likely bring help.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I had the same situation a few years back. After checking out what I could do, I found a solution. I sent a certified letter stating the animals had to be removed. He signed for the letter. If he did not sign, I would have to publish a notice in the paper. Then I waited 30 days. After the wait, I "hired" a guy to catch the animals that did not belong to me. He hauled them to the sale barn and the sale barn cut him a check for hauling. The check for the remainder was made out to the actual owner and mailed to his last known address. It was either that or catch them myself, board the animals until my costs exceded their value. Then I could sell them myself at the sale barn. IIRC If I just took them without the owner notification then that would be considered theft.

ps I think there is a member here on OSA that specializes in wild animal control. I cannot remember is handle. Maybe one of the other members can help out.

I think the butchering route is the best (you get much more retail value than if you sold them at auction), but as recommended above, you need to get explicit written permission from the cattle owner (the neighbor) before you can do anything. Or, otherwise hold them and place a lien on them for your safekeeping (as the second comment alludes). I believe if you sell them at auction you won't be able to collect as the proceeds would go to the livestock owner unless you have a solid paper trail; otherwise you get in hot water.

If not, you're rustling and that's serious hot water. Call the TSCRA, I'm sure they'd brief you on the process. Call the ODA. Call the neighbor and follow what advise the TSCRA may offer. Dot your Is and Cross your Ts. Oklahoma is not an open range state, but there leniency afforded to Animals At Large who are not negligently or intentionally released.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mom went to some local offices this morning to make sure this gets done the right way.

We have an unoccupied rent house with a fenced in pasture behind it about a mile away, it looks like we might have to relocate them there just to stop gramps from going crazy. The only problem is that the fence has become pretty "hole-y" over the years so we will have to fix those issues first.

hopefully my family gets this straightened out soon and an OSAer gets a good deal out of it

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CHenry said:
Otherwise maybe the vet could use a dart with a "light" dose so she wont want to lay down then lead her into a trailer with a rope.

IDK about a "light" dose. I can think of a couple different animals that were not subdued by the "light" dose. Easier to drag an un conscious cow in the trailer than a psycho that is immune to drugs.

YMMV.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's one I had that thought it was mean. He would try to hit me everytime I was in the pasture..Guess who won the battle.

i257.photobucket.com_albums_hh203_eberlerp_IMG_4081.jpg

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually have two calves a year butched on my own property. This is in reference to some of the above post. First thought..My butcher will process several hundred deer a year..BUT he can not butcher a cow that can not stand and walk. The deer have to be processed with different equipment and in a different cooler. I don't know how busy most processing plants are but I have to call and get a date that is usually 6 to 8 weeks in advance.
On the dog issue. I personally watched a small blue dog run up to a 1200 pound cow, grab her by the nose and then just swing. After she discovered he would not ever let go, the cow actually laid down and we were able to load her in a trailer with a horse. This was one bad cow but the little 40 or 50 pound dog won the contest with no problem. Good luck with your cattle. Viking

Latest posts

Top Bottom