How much would you pay for the lease?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am working on getting access to some land and am curious what it would be worth to you guys to lease it. It is about 120 acres of almost exclusively heavily wooded land with small trees (a few tree stand worthy but not many). There are a few clearings but not many, and to the best of my knowledge via satellite imagery no water, though there is some close by on neighboring land.

The kicker is it is archery only because it is surrounded by houses and if not in OKC city limits, it is super close. So excellent drive time, but archery for deer only unless a transient turkey or random coyote walks by.

How much would you pay? How much do you think it is worth?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deer without fawns can get almost all of their water requirement from the browse they eat and moisture on the morning feeding. Woody browse is 45% water if I remember right. Don't worry about the water.
I would scout it for deer sign, and if houses are nearby, check for feeders at their houses. Urban hunting if this is what your looking at can be pretty productive.
120 acres is plenty to hunt. I've killed dozens from a 22 acre patch of woods in the middle of a section of ag.
Scout it for trails, and see what food sources are nearby. Try to figure out the bedding areas and the path to the feeding areas and when you do you will be in the sweet spot.
A friend hunts a 7 acre patch behind a church he attends with permission.
He has some pics of nice bucks and does.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No idea on the cost, but you'll save money and time buy it being close. And you'll be in the stand more increasing your odd since it's close. So figure that in on your cost. I can't imagine there not being deer or even good deer anywhere around OKC, they're everywhere and seem to have adapted pretty well to city life.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer without fawns can get almost all of their water requirement from the browse they eat and moisture on the morning feeding. Woody browse is 45% water if I remember right. Don't worry about the water.
I would scout it for deer sign, and if houses are nearby, check for feeders at their houses. Urban hunting if this is what your looking at can be pretty productive.
120 acres is plenty to hunt. I've killed dozens from a 22 acre patch of woods in the middle of a section of ag.
Scout it for trails, and see what food sources are nearby. Try to figure out the bedding areas and the path to the feeding areas and when you do you will be in the sweet spot.
A friend hunts a 7 acre patch behind a church he attends with permission.
He has some pics of nice bucks and does.

I have no question it holds deer as I've seen them in the area, and its one of the largest undisturbed pieces of land around. Most neighbors have 5 acres and a large chunk of that is house and yard, so some are doing backyard hunting, but not most. My question isn't so much if I should hunt the place, but how much $$$ is it worth to gain access to the property. I've never leased, and have been out of country for several years so have no recent knowledge so I don't know at what price point I should jump on it, what would be an average deal, and when I should walk away. I realize it is a very subjective thing, so just am curious what most people would be willing to pay.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Without scouting, I'd offer $5.00 per acre and see how it fly's.
The State of Oklahoma is paying $15 per acre for prime hunting land right now for the OLAP program.
Your offer should fall somewhere in between depending on the deer density and size of the bucks.
Big buck areas draw premium money.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, $10/acre is the going price in my area as well.
My mother in law has 120 acres of mostly hay meadow with a few patches of trees. There are housing additions on two sides of her and it's excellent hunting. They hit the neighbors feeders then come back to bed down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom