How much would you pay for the lease?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
OLAP won't be a problem. He doesn't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry on the land. A richer leaser coming along may be an issue in the future though.
That may happen, but if he's happy with you and how you treat his place, money isn't always everything to a landowner. Either way, if you can afford it, and it works for you, hunt it while you can imo.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being IN the City, this is going to be your biggest issue, and from personal experience, there isn't anything you can do except try to "outbid" the other guy. It comes down to who has the deepest pockets.

That may happen, but if he's happy with you and how you treat his place, money isn't always everything to a landowner. Either way, if you can afford it, and it works for you, hunt it while you can imo.

That's my biggest concern. I am only in the states for a complete season 1 out of every 5 years, so can't do a long term lock it up lease, so am afraid this will be my only year for it. But if I can get him to agree to some terms with me it will be SIGNIFICANTLY better than the current spot I have.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck, shooter! Sounds like a solid option at something close, which alone is worth extra $ per acre. If you consider the time and gas money it take to drive to a location, say an hour one way, that adds up insanely quick with scouting, maintaining stands/feeders, checking cameras and hunting time. You could easily blow $100+ per month of lease activity for something an hour away, so keep that in mind when you are negotiating price.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck, shooter! Sounds like a solid option at something close, which alone is worth extra $ per acre. If you consider the time and gas money it take to drive to a location, say an hour one way, that adds up insanely quick with scouting, maintaining stands/feeders, checking cameras and hunting time. You could easily blow $100+ per month of lease activity for something an hour away, so keep that in mind when you are negotiating price.
Very solid advice.. The difference is my wife doesn't realize the extra money would go toward gas, but would realize an upfront cost on a lease :D.

I was able to walk through the property today. It was extremely sweaty (crazy humid morning). We had a doe weez and run, saw a doe, saw a doe and a fawn, and had at three times I heard them jump up and start bounding through the woods. The deer are definitely on there. The property is CRAZY thick with trees, shrubbery, clumpy grasses, etc... It was a very hard walk.... and nary a tree big enough to comfortably support a tree stand. So having plenty of targets shouldn't be a problem, but finding a place to hide well enough and see them may be.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very solid advice.. The difference is my wife doesn't realize the extra money would go toward gas, but would realize an upfront cost on a lease :D.

I was able to walk through the property today. It was extremely sweaty (crazy humid morning). We had a doe weez and run, saw a doe, saw a doe and a fawn, and had at three times I heard them jump up and start bounding through the woods. The deer are definitely on there. The property is CRAZY thick with trees, shrubbery, clumpy grasses, etc... It was a very hard walk.... and nary a tree big enough to comfortably support a tree stand. So having plenty of targets shouldn't be a problem, but finding a place to hide well enough and see them may be.

Over the last 14 years for whatever reason, the large cottonwoods have been slowly dying off on my place, and it has become increasingly harder to find a suitable tree for a lean to/ladder stand. A couple years ago, I bought a two tripod/quadpod stands on sale from Sportsman's Guide, and it has solved my problem. I like them a lot and needed more, and in order to not break the bank, I bought a couple more last year and a two man version this year. The expenses are much easier to absorb if you do it slowly.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Over the last 14 years for whatever reason, the large cottonwoods have been slowly dying off on my place, and it has become increasingly harder to find a suitable tree for a lean to/ladder stand. A couple years ago, I bought a two tripod/quadpod stands on sale from Sportsman's Guide, and it has solved my problem. I like them a lot and needed more, and in order to not break the bank, I bought a couple more last year and a two man version this year. The expenses are much easier to absorb if you do it slowly.

Dying of old age most likely, they don't live that long in comparison. All of the places that I hunt that have the giants on them have been slowly dying away over the last ten years or so.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dying of old age most likely, they don't live that long in comparison. All of the places that I hunt that have the giants on them have been slowly dying away over the last ten years or so.

My youngest son is in the landscape business and plants ALOT of trees, and he wants me to replant a few cottonwoods a year. Not sure if it will work, but they are cheap trees so wouldn't cost too much to try.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Might as well plant a white oak and a red oak at each feeder so your grand kids don't have to buy corn for the early season lol. Figure out some way to keep the bucks from thrashing the saplings :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom