How well I clean my firearm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How well do you clean your firearm

• Total voters

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it still works, don't clean it.

I don't clean 'em unless there is something broke - and usually cleaning don't fix it either (other than gummed up 22s).

I've seen A LOT barrels damaged by cleaning, and only few by not cleaning.

My best group AND score was shot with a rifle on the 6th 60-round (plus sighters/foulers) match without touching it.

I've left a muzzle loader loaded for a year. I used Bore-Butter as a lubricant. I've shot it (it did btw) and cleaned - no damage what-so-ever.

Good read here: http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crowns ... lots of crowns.

If your rod doesn't fit the bore just right, on a back stroke the base of the brush/jag hits the crown, at the bottom of the barrel, every stroke. Lots of guys don't "back-stroke" and remove the brush/jag just for that reason.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thank you MoBoost for even though I can not remember weather I cleaned my weapons, after reading the article... I now know that maybe I just clean them to much.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to be in the OCD cleaning crowd but I now only do a field strip clean every two or three range trips. I do oil the guns every two weeks or so just to keep a protective coat on them.

vtdw

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I give them a thorough cleaning right after deer season and if using them or handling them I just wipe em down with a Fluid Film soaked rag. That stuff is sold at John Deere dealers and really clings to metal!

Dave

Bhop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when I first get them I run them until they stop working or until im satisfied they are reliable what I learn from this time determines how often they get cleaned.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people do more damage to their guns while cleaning than they ever will firing them. It is a tool, light cleaning and wipe down will suffice for most uses. If you shoot a lot or leave the weapon exposed to the elements, then perhaps a little more detail is necessary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom