How would you invest 1000$

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm...$1000 dollars.

1st. Always invest in yourself. What I mean by this(you didn't state debt) is if you own a bill or payment of $1,000 or less, pay it off. That should free you from that debt, hopefully letting you get ahead by $1,000 on your total debt. Theoretically allowing you to pay off other debt with the money that was payed off.

2nd. I don't mean to sound offensive but here's my 2cents on your $1,000 investment. If it's a true investment go talk to a financial planner. They may or may not have any straight investments for $1,000, meaning they'll want you to slowly add to it to increase their buying power...in turn increasing your return. Remember: An investment is long term, not a quick fix. If you want a quick return there are other ways.

3rd. If you ONLY want to invest $1,000 dollars...that you can afford to lose..or...watch it grow WHEN it grows then buy stock.
Go online or go to a store like Scottrade and have them invest in what you want.

Example: My wife and I love Las Vegas and for her birthday and a few Christmas presents I have bought stock in; Caesars Entertainment Corporation Common Stock..NASDAQ: CZR. Boyd Gaming Corporation...NYSE: BYD and Wynn Resorts, Limited
NASDAQ: WYNN ....for fun...so she can say she owns a piece of the Las Vegas Strip and Downtown Fremont.

Example: For FUN..I buy stock in Cushing, Oklahoma Midstream and Storage. A few I own( just for fun since I have family there from statehood to now and I kinda grew up in the area) and watch go up and down. ***Remember< Cushing is ready and waiting for the Keystone pipeline...it's coming***

Others connected to Cushing...........Sunoco, Valero, Blue Knight, and Kinder Morgan. These are all fun stuff to me..not my main investments.

4th. $1,000 dollars.....can you get together with a few guys or buddies and invest, more money equals more buying power. Go in together and buy a rent house....fix it up and SEE...See if you can make a profit on selling it. With a few guys who invested...you guys can go in and fix it up yourself.

Look at Sheriff sales on property. There are some you can bid on and buy...knowing that the original owner can get it back. What I mean is that if tax is owned on it and that's what it was sold for...I think...I haven't done this in years....I think it's up to 4 years the tax debtor/owner can pay you the amount owned on tax plus some interest. If they don't in 4 years, you own it full and clear. ***Check on the rules on this...I can't remember but 30 years ago I did get a few farms (40 acres) this way***

***If you have a group investment there has to be rules!!!*** How the money will be split when the investment is sold, when to sell(all agree) how to split the taxation when the investment is sold and a profit is gained....etc.

Just a few things to think about, ***Never invest anymore than you can afford to lose*** ***Talk to an investment advisor if you're in it for the long term*** ***Taxable-vs-Nontaxable investment when you cash out***

Good luck and have fun!!!

Remember....Vegas wasn't built on winners but with $1,000 and at the craps table with just $1,000 I always bet the Three Point Molly or The Iron Cross....:thumbup3:
craps.jpg

Last edited:

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm...$1000 dollars.

1st. Always invest in yourself. What I mean by this(you didn't state debt) is if you own a bill or payment of $1,000 or less, pay it off. That should free you from that debt, hopefully letting you get ahead by $1,000 on your total debt. Theoretically allowing you to pay off other debt with the money that was payed off.

2nd. I don't mean to sound offensive but here's my 2cents on your $1,000 investment. If it's a true investment go talk to a financial planner. They may or may not have any straight investments for $1,000, meaning they'll want you to slowly add to it to increase their buying power...in turn increasing your return. Remember: An investment is long term, not a quick fix. If you want a quick return there are other ways.

3rd. If you ONLY want to invest $1,000 dollars...that you can afford to lose..or...watch it grow WHEN it grows then buy stock.
Go online or go to a store like Scottrade and have them invest in what you want.

Example: My wife and I love Las Vegas and for her birthday and a few Christmas presents I have bought stock in; Caesars Entertainment Corporation Common Stock..NASDAQ: CZR. Boyd Gaming Corporation...NYSE: BYD and Wynn Resorts, Limited
NASDAQ: WYNN ....for fun...so she can say she owns a piece of the Las Vegas Strip and Downtown Fremont.

Example: For FUN..I buy stock in Cushing, Oklahoma Midstream and Storage. A few I own( just for fun since I have family there from statehood to now and I kinda grew up in the area) and watch go up and down. ***Remember< Cushing is ready and waiting for the Keystone pipeline...it's coming***

Others connected to Cushing...........Sunoco, Valero, Blue Knight, and Kinder Morgan. These are all fun stuff to me..not my main investments.

4th. $1,000 dollars.....can you get together with a few guys or buddies and invest, more money equals more buying power. Go in together and buy a rent house....fix it up and SEE...See if you can make a profit on selling it. With a few guys who invested...you guys can go in and fix it up yourself.

***If you have a group investment there has to be rules!!!*** How the money will be split when the investment is sold, when to sell(all agree) how to split the taxation when the investment is sold and a profit is gained....etc.

Just a few things to think about, ***Never invest anymore than you can afford to lose*** ***Talk to an investment advisor if you're in it for the long term*** ***Taxable-vs-Nontaxable investment when you cash out***

Good luck and have fun!!!

Remember....Vegas wasn't built on winners but with $1,000 and at the craps table with just $1,000 I always bet the Three Point Molly or The Iron Cross....:thumbup3:
craps.jpg

Best advice thusfar IMO! Unless you already have a solid knowledge of what different industries/companies have been trading at, and what they *should* be worth, I'd recommend either talking to a financial professional/planner (as mentioned above), or do your own research and find a well-known aggressive mutual fund (will likely contain mostly small-cap stocks and/or companies in historically volatile markets).

I'd also recommend against dumping money into precious metals willey-nilley--few financial professionals would actually advise one to invest a significant part of their portfolio in gold/silver/etc. Most often, the "smart money" will put some money in precious metals as a means of hedging. As you probably know, the value of precious metals go up when investor/consumer confidence goes down. Therefore, if tomorrow the market collectively dropped 5%, an investor would minimize his or her loss by having a (usually small) stake in precious metals.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few more: You got me thinking and since I've had a few wisdom teeth pulled last week AND I'm taking antibiotics...I can't..or really my wife won't let me drink(adult beverages) ...I'm thinking pretty clearly...:hey3:

You didn't state children....if so...how about some investments for your child or children's future.

***Don't Laugh*** Funeral plots and the items that go with them. My wife and I bought our "hole in the wall"...cremation and the lid that covers the hole where the box is placed in the wall. Also the memorial service...done..written out and paid off.

A will.....have an attorney help you draw one up....for your wife and children's future. If your wife passes before you then it will help you.

**Especially the DNR...Do Not Resuscitate and other incapacitated issues. When these issues arise and it's written down what YOU want to happen...emotions won't come into play. I DO NOT want to bankrupt my wife with life prolonging issues and costs BUT I'm brain dead...so I have and she does to...items like this in our will.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything is paid off here so talked the wife into us paying for the entire years lawn treatments which will take right at $1000. Getting a 10% discount. $100 left for a night out. (that was the cincher to swing the deal with her)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like distressed stocks for small investments. Watch the news reports of big companies that have historically been good solid companies that get hit with a recall or hit by storms, fire, etc. Buy up what you can afford, and when the company recovers, cash in for the profit.
For example, I would have jumped all over Kidde Fire extinguishers when they had that massive recall a while back, but they are HQ in England, and my broker can't deal in international stocks.

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. Certainly some interesting answers in here. I will have to do some research on the suggestions. If anybody has anymore keep them coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom