Side hustler wisdom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just getting a feel for what y’all folks have done when choosing and why.
Ah, I did not get that from your first post. Guess I’d say whatever you do, do what makes you happy and do it just a little bit better than everyone else. As an example, 211° water is really hot but it’s still just water. Now at 212° something happens and that water boils and turns to steam. Just 1° makes all the difference in the world, be that 1°.
My personal journey started in 1986 fresh out of high school where I went to work making deliveries for an electrical wholesaler. Unlike every other driver there, I opened up the boxes I delivered to see and learn just what I was delivering. When at the customer’s I’d ask them for a quick tour to learn how what we sold was being used in their facility. Within nine months I was working counter sales and six months after that I was offered an inside position by one of the factory reps from whom we purchased. Went to work for them, again asking lots of questions and going to all the local trainings they’d put on at other customers and going to as many factory trainings both in and out of state as they’d pay for. After two years of being an inside salesman they gave me a territory to manage and I never turned back, I was 22 or 23 at the time. If it goes on a machine or is used in any part of a facility and has an electron flowing through it I’ve applied and sold it to meet my customers needs, customers like Frito-Lay, Behr Paint, the NHRA, Anheuser-Busch, Miller Brewing, Quaker Oats and JPL. I have parts on robotic cells at Tesla, CH47s, from the Space Shuttle to concrete pumps that laid the pad. I’ve worked with Chicken plants, slaughter houses, micro-breweries and sold the drives controlling the roof at the Mariner’s Stadium in Seattle and ski lifts in Whistler. You’d be hard pressed to find an application with which I haven’t at least some familiarity. I say all this only to give you a feel of what my career path was like. My last 11 years was spent with an electrical distributor (went full circle I suppose) personally managing a territory that generated $3.6 million in sales and providing technical support for the 7 other salespeople that worked for the company. I’m now 55 years old, debt free and have been retired for 4 years enjoying the life the Good Lord has given me here in Paradise Valley, Oklahoma.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My job was CAD drawings. My side job was buying a home computer, plotter, CAD software and drawing. I worked at home for the side jobs so I was always there with the family. I never missed any of the kids activities. Family came first.
Many times I would get a call to do some drawings, pick the job up a 5:30pm, go to kids games or practices, then later work until 2am, and deliver the completed job by 7am. Did this for years and years. The extra income is what helped pay for things we needed and a few things we wanted. Mostly it just helped us get by.
Unfortunately we couldn't just bank most of it for a rainy day or invest.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only one lookalike and a job that is considered a good one, appreciated indefinitely & yes I’ve put into Ira for last 5 years or so. that is the crossroad im at, its either looking for a good retirement or start heavily investing time & money into side business that will have room for it turning into something of my own. Just getting a feel for what y’all folks have done when choosing and why. I could indefinitely stay in the happy medium and make my money on the side with no issue but again need to push that side hustle into something that the profit to time spent ratio is higher I feel.
Just a thought. Some of your comment made me remeber this. Can't remember the person on a pod cast that said it (was well known business guy). Thoses who perform well at their jobs/careeer and switch up employeers in the same field tend to make50% more money thoughout their career than those that tend to be "lifers" as the same company for 20-30 years. When they said that i looked at some of my longtime friends and those that moved companies within their same industry were paid more each time they moved. Some of it was due to a higher level position (sales to sales manager, etc). Me, I've been at the same company for 21 years. But I'm paid fairly well in my position and especially for being in OK, AND, I don't necessarily like change.

My point is, can you change companies within the same field and get higher salary/hour wages? Much more than a typical merit increase or bonus? May be worth the look.

Latest posts

Top Bottom