Side hustler wisdom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the one thing most men regret as they get older is the time they could have spent with their spouse and children. That little extra cash being made on the side or with overtime at work is great but you can never replace time spent at your kids events.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the prior advice. Live below your means, and invest everything you can afford into a 401K. My first job gave raises quarterly. Usually was only a quarter to .35 cents. Always took 1/2 of that raise and put it into the investment account. It wasn't much, and raising a family at the same time sometimes made me question that but did it and never looked back. Money never seen is money never missed.
Find something your good at on the job and convert it to a side hack or a full-time job. As has been said, the trades are begging for workers.
Attend classes at Vo-tech in the evening to gain knowledge and that slip of paper that says your trained. You know how to weld, but the employer doesn't know that.
It's amazing how many doors that slip of paper can open.
Educating yourself with what can sometimes be free as an employer benefit by going to Vo-tech can really pay off. Make yourself a person with multiple skills.
A welder with electrical skills, mechanical skills and computer training opens up doors for industrial maintenance which is the highest paying blue-collar job in Oklahoma and other states.
The future belongs to you.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the one thing most men regret as they get older is the time they could have spent with their spouse and children. That little extra cash being made on the side or with overtime at work is great but you can never replace time spent at your kids events.
That's why children are gifted to young folks and not boomers. They have the stamina to work all that in.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
You say finding a career? Are you not in one now? What do you do? Have any kids?

If you hate what you’re doing, or can’t make enough money, it’s time to find something new.

If you have time for a side hustle and wanna make extra money, you’re typically better off working more hours and/or asking for a raise. Unless you can make on the side hustle than your regular job. Then you should try to make the side hustle your main hustle.

What I have always done is work more hours when I want more money. If I can’t get OT, my career has allowed me to do what I do at work, but on my off time. Essentially, I don’t have to learn anything new or buy different tools/equipment/etc to make money, I just keep doing what I’m good at with the tools and equipment I already have.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing: do the math on saving money. $30k saved by the time you’re 27, assuming 9% returns, turns into a good chunk of change by the time you hit 70. That could be half of your retirement, paid for, and off your worry list for life. Another 30k by the time your 35, invested in the same way, could pay for a sweet sports car and your kids college when it’s time. For me, in my 30s, it will require over double the initial investment to be in the same spot at 70. Not as easy to pull off.

Just something to chew on.

https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/finance/calculators/compoundinterestcalculator.php

Nobs3

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only one lookalike and a job that is considered a good one, appreciated indefinitely & yes I’ve put into Ira for last 5 years or so. that is the crossroad im at, its either looking for a good retirement or start heavily investing time & money into side business that will have room for it turning into something of my own. Just getting a feel for what y’all folks have done when choosing and why. I could indefinitely stay in the happy medium and make my money on the side with no issue but again need to push that side hustle into something that the profit to time spent ratio is higher I feel.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As to how I made extra money over the years, (41+). Working overtime when offered, some years nearly constantly, other years much less. Tried not to worry about just sleeping, eating, working. Not getting married until 35 years old, not making babies, marrying the right woman, not living too high, not taking a lot of expensive vacations, saving, investing, planning as much as you’re mentally capable of. I’m sure this won’t work for everyone, but it did for me. Hope this helps, wish you success.

Latest posts

Top Bottom