Side hustler wisdom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I currently work construction. I am married with kids and travel all over the U.S. . It’s great money but Im almost never home. do you want to traveling for work? have you thought about the military? are you going to collage? money does not just come your way. You have to go get it. Hard work and dedication and don’t live above your means.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say if you do countertops you can probably do home repair.
there is such a huge market for that now days with the current generation who just want to click and boom have it done, they no longer have any home repair skills.
pick the jobs you want at a fee you are willing to accept and do a good job, the word of mouth will get you MANY jobs.
Edit: I know a couple guys that do this and they are so busy they are paying people to do their own house maintenance..
the trades are another area that guys are starting their own business
heck. Start a side welding and fab shop since you know that.
you just have to charge what you want and only take what you know you can do right.
edit 2. You can make a **** ton of money mowing yards. I know a guy that sent out yardmowing postcards in a couple square miles, he got so many yards and built up business that he had to hire my boys to help him in the summers.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
As we have previously discussed the majority of members here being in the boomer age bracket, I’d like to request y’all’s wisdom and input on how you made extra money over the years. Whether it be just a hobby that made you money after working your regular job or something that turned into a small business for yourself.

Me being not even in my late 20s yet I work 10-12 hour days year round and work every weekend which helps tremendously but I’m at a crossroads of deciding to go all in on a side hustle, working it up & investing in myself or finding a career.
I had an idea to form a company to provide cleaning services and small repair services to Stop N Rob bathrooms. It would be a small company at first hiring as necessary.

Think about it. How many bathrooms have you seen that are filthy and the employees won't clean them?

How many companies would pay to rid themselves of trying to get their employees to clean them?

How many bathrooms need just a little fixing up? A door lock replaced, a screw ripped out of the wall, a TP holder broken?

You could charge out the a$$.

I'm only telling you because I can't physically perform the cleaning service anymore.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Adding on to what @swampratt said. Just because you make more money don’t just blow it on fancy things. There is NOTHING wrong with having nice things and making a lot of money. But I would highly recommend practicing financial generosity. I don’t know if you go to church and already do this but get in the practice of tithing. If you’re not into that find a charity or foundation that you’d like to donate to. Good to give a little back of the financial blessing 👍
Most of the folks I know who made a lot more money than I do are just broke on a higher level.
What hurt my pocketbook when I was starting in life making my own way were unexpected bills that were hundreds of dollars. Now it's the same but it has changed to thousands of dollars. The smaller bills I can handle. I can handle the thousands of dollars bills now but it would cut into my long term plans a bit.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best thing in your 20’s is to put some $ into a 401k (if your company offers) and a Roth IRA. That money works for you over the years and can really build up. It can provide financial cover and peace for you, especially later in life.

Oh, forgot to mention: whatever you do, do NOT, I repeat do NOT, start lusting after S&W revolvers. They can wreck your budget. 😃

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn’t trying to get your life’s plan down to the gnat’s wazoo but to get you thinking about what you’re wanting out of life. Are you the kind of person that is completely joy filled living in a single-wide on 1/4 acre having an aluminum boat with a 10hp Evinrude or do you want a house with a lake? There’s no wrong answer just depends on what you want. If the single-wide is your thing then having a business mucking stalls in Carnegie might be alright but if a nicer house with a nicer boat and a safe full of S&W’s like @GlockPride has (😉) then that might not be a good career path.
Wasn’t till my mid 30’s that I realized I’d have much preferred being an electrician then selling industrial motor controls and factory automation but by that time I had my three kids and it was really too late to make a career change. Whatever you decide I’d like to leave you with this thought. Your children, if you decide to have children will never remember how much money you made but they will always remember how much time you spent with them. Be content in whatever life brings you young man and enjoy the adventure.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure what your current employer/work is but you mentioned the work "career" and that being a possible avenue with a side hustle. My take is that you find a career you like and a good compnay you respect and they have respect for you as an employee. THese days that could be a challenge but there are still plenty out there. having a good career many times brings a very nice benefits package. Being in your mid/late 20's I think it's very important to have good medical benefits and some form of 401K/retirement package. There's a nice feeling of security having a job that pays the bills plus a little extra, and having full health/medical benefits.

THen you can start or find your side hustle where you make your fun money, investing money, vacation money or whatever you want to call it. Without a real plan it's difficult to have a side hustle that pays enough to cover all of your expenses and fun money and still have good benefits. Your side hustle takes off and becomes a career, then even better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom