How would you invest 1000$

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braggs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
  1. Pay off any high interest credit card accounts first.
  2. Pay off any vehicle loans if possible (remove full-coverage insurance for more monthly savings)
  3. Taking on a "flip" project. Someone mentioned fixing up a trailer obtained cheaply or small engine (like free lawn mowers)
  4. Convert it to non-liquid assets last. I like guns, but others mentioned gold and silver which work too. Don't put it in any asset that loses value (vehicles are very bad at losing value).
$1000 isn't enough for CDs and won't get you hardly any interest in a regular savings account. Throwing it away on high-priced bit-coin isn't my vote either. You could possibly put it in your 401k but I'd say (since I don't know you or your current account balances), train yourself to not spend it. Keep it in your account (maybe one that's harder to get to) and leave it there. Look at the balance and keep telling yourself to leave it alone. Once you can do this, add more to it. Then more. Pretty soon, you have a nice savings or emergency funds if you need it. Before long, you might have enough to actually get a CD.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one that was grandpa's 87A with a broken in 1/2 plastic type stock. missing some parts.
It was one of the most accurate guns I ever shot in the rimfire 22 size

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No expert here but just sat down with our financial guy on Friday. He is well trusted and is working our financials for the first time. He has done wonders for my folks monies that is somewhat substantial. I really like his approach.

Our main concerns were our retirement and our son's college coming up in 3.5 years. We haven't done much for his college and our retirement is on track better than we thought. I'll get to my point shortly.

We have approx $16K in cash set aside for his college and want to find an investment for it to grow for three more years. We are also transferring approx $2K/month into a separate savings account for his college/car fund and any other incidentals. Our advisors recommendation was that with where the market is now and looking back a history he feels that it is a fairly good time to be conservative with investments. He said that everything is priced so high that in may investment options you are paying $90-$100 to earn $100. And then what happens if you see a correction in the markets in the next three years and you are looking at a loss or at best even money at that time. He will be getting back to us with some liquid options for this money to look at and he was good with looking at 6-12 months CDs at our credit union. HE was also good with us just keeping it in our savings as we are now.

HE is also bringing me down on my high risk tolerance in my 401K to a more realistic/moderate level. Because of the long run up with the stock/real estate market he feels it is a good time to be more conservative and will be pushing my 401k options in that direction.

My point is it may not be a great time to invest in achingly aggressive manner as you could stand to loose some of your money if the tide changes. Despite what is happening with the trump economy, it is a lot of peoples opinion that we are well overdue for a correction.

Pay off any debt you have and/or sit on the cash with a 3-6 month CD. Or put in seperate savings account where you have easy access to it in an emergency.
Can I get this guys name? I wanna make sure I never use him.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago I bought a radial arm saw, an air compressor & nail gun and built a 2 car garage/workshop in the backyard. Saved money doing it myself and added to the property value.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the buy a crappy trailer for cheap fix it and flip it idea.
But you need skills and at least a welder to pull that off.
Which we should all have in my opinion. But sometimes life does not allow all the goodies to be had.

There is an APP called the Amazon seller app I think it is I do not own a cell phone.
Anyway you scan crap from the discount isle at walmart and with the APP it will tell you if you can make a profit selling it on amazon.
I did not explain that well.
Google it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom