Side hustler wisdom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobs3

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As we have previously discussed the majority of members here being in the boomer age bracket, I’d like to request y’all’s wisdom and input on how you made extra money over the years. Whether it be just a hobby that made you money after working your regular job or something that turned into a small business for yourself.

Me being not even in my late 20s yet I work 10-12 hour days year round and work every weekend which helps tremendously but I’m at a crossroads of deciding to go all in on a side hustle, working it up & investing in myself or finding a career.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As we have previously discussed the majority of members here being in the boomer age bracket, I’d like to request y’all’s wisdom and input on how you made extra money over the years. Whether it be just a hobby that made you money after working your regular job or something that turned into a small business for yourself.

Me being not even in my late 20s yet I work 10-12 hour days year round and work every weekend which helps tremendously but I’m at a crossroads of deciding to go all in on a side hustle, working it up & investing in myself or finding a career.

There's your answer right there. Regular job, side hustle, or combination of both. Regardless of what people tell you working for what you want is the way to get it.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell me a little about your interests, your workset skills, hobbies, side jobs, etc...
all my side work revolves around things I enjoy and understand, have experience in.
There is no side job replacement for OT, in my FT job.
i just do side work for fun and to help people, give back.

Last edited:

Nobs3

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently my “9-5” pays what’s needed and then some for our monthly expenses. I mow on the side during summer no more than about 10-11 yards half push mower & half zero turn because it’s only me. tree work in the winter time of course just because I have the equipment for our own property. The couple of trades I have are not currently used at the job I’ve been with for a few years which are welding & fab countertops. But more so the question is insight into what’s the goal for most folks who have done the same thing starting out.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being in your twenties it’s definitely time for you to consider what you really want out of life. Are you the kind of person that would like $100K now take a penny doubled every day for 30 days? I personally wouldn’t want to spend the rest of my life working a side hustle just to pay the bills but there are some I suppose that do. And as @mouthpiece asked…..tell us about yourself. Wants, dreams, likes and dislikes.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If you have a solid business and the knowledge to run it and you know you can be profitable in that market then I am HUGE advocate of going for it. There is nothing more rewarding than working 60hrs a week for yourself and the money goes to you and not bosses up the food chain. I did it for 5 years and the financial blessing was unmatched. I’m planning on doing it again once I get myself more established here but it’s hard to work for someone else once you’ve worked for yourself

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be thrifty.
Does not really matter what you make if you spend it all on stuff that is not really needed.

I mowed 75 yards a month 2 times a month and used a 1982 ford mustang with a straight 6 engine that got 27 mpg. I can fit 2 push mowers in it and weed eater.

Truck would have sucked the profit away.
Zero turn. Hope you got it cheap.
Only 10 yards.
I suppose if they were 3 acres or larger and lots of trees the zero turn may save enough time to make a profit but I say no.

My daily driver cars were all pretty cheap many in the 75 to 200 dollar area.

Rent on a house..No thank you. I did that for 9 months and bought my own house .
It was in spencer.. yea not ideal but it was cheap and i was going to own it.

No need for big fancy houses or cars.
Thrift stores have clothes.
Duct tape fixes lots of things and learn to cook and sew and fix everything yourself.

DO NOT upgrade the house if the current stuff works.
My wife did not want the countertops that were original 1974 ones in our current house.
She wanted something prettier.

TOO BAD they work and they are staying because they do what they are supposed to do.

You can get caught up in shiny pretty things and it will drain the money you are trying to build upon.

I have spare money and can absolutely remodel the house.. heck i could tear it all down and build another one with cash but it is not a NEED.

Need and want.. get those sorted out.

Nobs3

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Completely agree swampratt financial freedom being the ultimate goal, the yards just provide an extra xxxx amount of money and they all pay well with the downfall being what the wife & I want not need. As for caliberbob this is more so where the question is aimed, benefits and pitfalls of me investing what I made extra in a year into something profitable with room for growth vs what my father would shoot towards a job that doesn’t a lot you the time for hobbies and hustles for supplementary income but pays an amount it’s not quite needed. Love where this is headed guys wish y’all all hung out at the same Braum’s every morning so I could come berate you with questions and listen 😂

Nobs3

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Firpo I would love to indulge in my inability to dream or come up with a set amount of goals but life comes quick and I find myself almost confused sometimes, maybe setting few goals and not worrying about the 75% of life around me is beneficial. This is a downfall of mine I must admit. Passion not found yet just taking pride in everything I do is as far as I have gotten.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Adding on to what @swampratt said. Just because you make more money don’t just blow it on fancy things. There is NOTHING wrong with having nice things and making a lot of money. But I would highly recommend practicing financial generosity. I don’t know if you go to church and already do this but get in the practice of tithing. If you’re not into that find a charity or foundation that you’d like to donate to. Good to give a little back of the financial blessing 👍

Latest posts

Top Bottom