Hunting Etiquette Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One time I remember real good we had a lease near Boston pool, north of Cleveland Ok. 3000 acres, there was 15 of us and we had worked hard all year finding good spots for our stands and blinds. planting food plots, clearing areas etc.
The guy that ran the lease went overboard and posted leased for hunting signs every 50 yards around the whole property. All gates were locked.
Opening morning we were going to our stands and found 2 locks cut on the road to our stands.
When we got to the clearing of his stand there was some guy in it.
It was all we could do to restrain him.
He wanted to shoot the guy out of the stand.
A mile and a half from the nearest public road thru 2 locked gates with signs everywhere takes a lot of balls.
I think if we hadn't been with him he would have shot the guy.:smack:

No offense but that doesnt sound like a public land story. Your story sounds like a private land, trespassing, poacher story. That is a totally different situation.

As stated before its public but I would not have used it and probably moved on just because once I set up I hate moving. The odds are the guy would show up sooner or later and I would have to move.

Jeremiah

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went back to the same place today. This time I ran into the guy I met in the parking lot last time. He told me he was going to sit in the guy's blind and tell him to get bent if he came up.
I went to a spot about not too far from there and around 730 I heard some loud talking from the area of the blind. When I left shortly thereafter, no one was there and the blind was gone.
Back in the parking lot I met up with the first guy again and he relayed to me what happened. Apparently the guy strolled in again and said "you're in my f-ing stand" and a short argument commenced at the end of which the owner of the blind scooped it up and left.
The blind owner came out to the parking lot not too long after and we all had a talk about not being able to reserve an area in public land. He was thinking that setting up his blind should have prevented people from being within about a 30 yd radius. We both told him that we would agree if he was in the blind when we came out, but it was first-come first-served.

I think it's all sorted out now.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no problem using someone else's stand if it is hanging/sitting on public property and they are not there. If they show up I simply get down/leave. If they are mad about it, then too bad for them. Its on public, and if you don't want someone using it while you are not there, then take it down!

As far as sitting up next to someone goes. Use some common sense. First come, first serve on public. Nobody can "claim" a spot. If you want put a stand right next to someone else's, so be it, BUT if you come in and he/she is already there, you would be a jerk to purposely climb into a stand 20 yards from them.

Just my thoughts

okieboomer1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's always a good idea to avoid confrontation...with that said perm. blinds are a no go on public land. If it is a continuing issue get the GPS coords. and convey the problem to the rangers, it's their job to police the area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom