Hunting Etiquette Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would. NEVER "use" anothers blind on a public land. That was the biggest mistake made,IMHO.
But he had no right to claim a spot without physically being there.

I was on my private land one time and found a small blind. I used it because that's were I like to hunt. Then after I got my buck, I also got a brand new blind! Lucky day! F*%K poachers.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would. NEVER "use" anothers blind on a public land. That was the biggest mistake made,IMHO.
But he had no right to claim a spot without physically being there.

I was on my private land one time and found a small blind. I used it because that's were I like to hunt. Then after I got my buck, I also got a brand new blind! Lucky day! F*%K poachers.

Yeah the private land I use belongs to my wife's boss, real nice lady. Every time Im out there, I have to run people off, doing who knows what. Leaving a mess, I usually fire couple of rounds and that gets their attention that daddy is home, time to run off. I have permission to be there and she gave me the go to enforce her land from trespassers and I have no problem doing so.

Jeremiah

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Yes, you should have skipped using it. The blind wasn't yours. If you left your keys in your vehicle in a public parking lot would you want someone else using it?

2. How did you know the spot was a good spot? Did you scout the area or just assume it was since someone had already set up shop?

3. You definitely should move along. Setting back down outside his blind would have been very rude. Plus you never know who you may run into in the woods. Sitting down outside his blind might have gotten you shot.

Common sense is really the answer to each of your questions though.

1. No, I wouldn't want someone to use my car, but I also wouldn't put my name on a parking curb and expect no one else to park there. Or sit a bench in the woods and expect no one to sit on it.

By "use" I am just meaning sit behind and not touch. I want to point out that this blind had 4 plastic poles that stake into the ground with fabric that runs between them. It looked easy to setup and very portable. I'm thinking that it would add in a good 2 min or less to just put it out each time.

2. I scouted the day before, I was also out several times in the past few weeks, just not in that specific part. I also used satelite images. I didn't just see someone else's eqipment and think it would be a good spot.

3. Yes, I don't think sitting right back down would have helped keep things civil, which is why I was nice and even told him of the deer activity in the area before I left and said good luck. It's just in thinking about it afterwards I started realizing that I had just as much right to be there as him and expecting everyone to leave on account of him is a jerk move.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at it from a different point of view.
You get there at 6 am you set up your blind, go put out some distance markers, some scent, some corn or what ever.
and scout around the area a little.
Come back and find some clown in your blind.
How would you feel?

Never touch another persons property out in the woods. It could get you killed.
I've seen a lot of fights and near shootings, where some guy came in friday nite set up his blind or stand and the next morning theres somebody else in it.
The land may be public but the blind or stand isn't.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. No, I wouldn't want someone to use my car, but I also wouldn't put my name on a parking curb and expect no one else to park there. Or sit a bench in the woods and expect no one to sit on it.

By "use" I am just meaning sit behind and not touch. I want to point out that this blind had 4 plastic poles that stake into the ground with fabric that runs between them. It looked easy to setup and very portable. I'm thinking that it would add in a good 2 min or less to just put it out each time.

I wouldn't have used the blind regardless. You should have set up somewhere close to it and when he came along he could have packed it up and went elsewhere since it sounds easily portable. Having been setting in his blind put yourself at a disadvantage in the discussion.
2. I scouted the day before, I was also out several times in the past few weeks, just not in that specific part. I also used satelite images. I didn't just see someone else's eqipment and think it would be a good spot.
More fuel for your side of the discussion then.

3. Yes, I don't think sitting right back down would have helped keep things civil, which is why I was nice and even told him of the deer activity in the area before I left and said good luck. It's just in thinking about it afterwards I started realizing that I had just as much right to be there as him and expecting everyone to leave on account of him is a jerk move.

While you may have thought of it as a jerk move, I don't know of any hunters that want someone they don't know hunting next to them. Yes its public land. Yes he shouldn't have left a blind up. Yes you had just as much right to be there as him, but so did the other hunter that you were attempting to get his attention so he would move. You did the right thing in moving on, but being in his blind put you at the disadvantage.

Jeremiah

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You get there at 6 am you set up your blind, go put out some distance markers, some scent, some corn or what ever.
How would you feel?

I've seen a lot of fights and near shootings, where some guy came in friday nite set up his blind or stand and the next morning theres somebody else in it.
The land may be public but the blind or stand isn't.

If that was the case, I would have split and never thought twice about it. If I came to it and there was any evidence of it being used or any other people around I wouldn't have even stopped.

You make a good point, it's not worth getting shot over. However, I still don't see any issue with using the area if you arrive first.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How would you feel?

I've seen a lot of fights and near shootings, where some guy came in friday nite set up his blind or stand and the next morning theres somebody else in it.The land may be public but the blind or stand isn't.

Really? A lot of fights and near shootings? Please share!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really? A lot of fights and near shootings? Please share!

One time I remember real good we had a lease near Boston pool, north of Cleveland Ok. 3000 acres, there was 15 of us and we had worked hard all year finding good spots for our stands and blinds. planting food plots, clearing areas etc.
The guy that ran the lease went overboard and posted leased for hunting signs every 50 yards around the whole property. All gates were locked.
Opening morning we were going to our stands and found 2 locks cut on the road to our stands.
When we got to the clearing of his stand there was some guy in it.
It was all we could do to restrain him.
He wanted to shoot the guy out of the stand.
A mile and a half from the nearest public road thru 2 locked gates with signs everywhere takes a lot of balls.
I think if we hadn't been with him he would have shot the guy.:smack:

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
True it is public property but it belongs to someone else. Unless I had permission from the owner, I wouldn't touch it. Have to respect other peoples property and hope they would do the same.

If the stand was not occupied & if I had scouted that area and had planned on hunting there, I would set up where I wanted (again not touching his equipment)and hunt. If he showed up, he could make the decision on whether he would stay or go but I'm not moving once I set up.

Your dead on. Well said!

Latest posts

Top Bottom