Hunting Regulations Question - Game Birds- Legal Means of Taking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I always wondered why a manufactor hasnt made a shotgun that only holds 2 shells without a plug.

Call it "migratory birds edition".

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Beretta xtrema 2 with a Nordic components magazine extension that allows me 10rds in the gun. You should see the length of the dowel rod I had to cut to limit it to two rounds in the tube! haha!

Like "oklahomabassin" said above, you need to take baby steps to make sure that your "plug" is long enough to limit you to two 2 3/4" shells but also short enough to limit you to two 3" shells and or 3.5" shells if your gun accepts them.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I was still able to bird hunt, I just left the plug in year round. Never seemed to need more than 3 shots at quail, and two for sheet, trap, etc.

Reaction score
I think having 3 shells is a good idea. Most often I only shot 2 shots. I believe once you start getting past 2 or 3 shots you are just wounding the animal. I believe by shooting less shots you will probably be more accurate as well since you know you have just 2 or 3 chances. And a lot of times I personally shoot better when I have issues with my gun and it only lets me shoot one at a time.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More than three can come in handy when pheasant hunting. you don't shoot three at one bird, but when a bunch get up around you, sometimes that 4th or 5th shell gets you a bird.

also when blocking, sometimes 4 or 5 shells come handy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think having 3 shells is a good idea. Most often I only shot 2 shots. I believe once you start getting past 2 or 3 shots you are just wounding the animal. I believe by shooting less shots you will probably be more accurate as well since you know you have just 2 or 3 chances. And a lot of times I personally shoot better when I have issues with my gun and it only lets me shoot one at a time.
I started with a single shot from 11 yrs old until almost 30 yrs old. Took a lot of game with that gun. Finally got where I could afford a pump gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom