HVAC question - am I being told correctly by contractor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am not sure of a real way of measuring the reduction of life to the compressor. The capacitors are cheap compared to having to remove/replace a compressor. Now that there have been installation issues, I would check for kinked copper lines, excessively sharp bends in the copper (this is in refrigeration school). You could have someone ohm out the electrical wires on the compressor motor, if it has higher resistance than what it should for the young life of the a/c system, then I would have them replace the compressor, it may be a sign, then again it may run years with no problem at all.

Expansion valves can plug for many reasons...and most can be prevented from the installation stand point. Proper nitrogen while brazing, proper flaring of nuts, proper nitrogen and vacuuming of system, and good clean copper during install all play a key role in the longevity and life cycle of a split system prior to placing into service.

Like you and others have said, these home builders have to hire the lowest sub's to get the job done with maximum profit that they are usually barely par and even sub-par on the installation quality. Lets face it, this current generation of young workforce just don't give a damn about the quality of their work, and this goes all the way up to our young engineers. I am barely 30 years old and am seeing a huge decline of skill/knowledge during the transition of generations.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the tech's working in the havc field are hacks. It's hard to find someone who is honest and knowledgeable. Sounds like you are getting the runaround. Try to find a
good tech if you can. I know one here in Claremore. PM me if you want his name.

Latest posts

Top Bottom