Hypocrites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the republican party claims to be in favor of smaller government, but look how it exploded under dubya...
once we gave the government authority to sanction and endorse marriages, we gave government authority to define marriage. i believe the state should butt out all together, and leave marriage to the people deciding to make that commitment.

The GOP is supposed to be for smaller government? Since when?

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well said!!!

I should note that I am highly amused by all the GOP is dead BS. It has been said over and over again about both main parties, and both still win elections. The party holding the WH still changes mostly every 8 years unless whom ever holding it is a total screwup, then it changes after 4. It will continue that way until a strong enough 3rd party forces a change.

My money says that we're 12 years away from having a republican in the White House. All they want to talk about is social issues and they're on the wrong side of those battles. Quit fighting civil rights, it's just stupid and unattractive to our children who we taught to NOT judge people.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, well , well...
Seems to me the whole issue could be contained by the 10th amendment. We lost that particular legal point in April, 1865. Let the states decide for themselves how best to govern. Our schools, prisons, healthcare, traffic laws, drug laws, hiring laws - all dictated by Washington.

How many who say "I should have the right to marry who I want, the government should butt out" would be willing to say "I should be able to hire who I want, discriminate who I want, and allow or not allow who I want in my business or restaurant, the government should butt out"?

The right to say what you want in your own business, does not exist without the fear of government fining or shutting you down, because of sexist, racist, or particular religious view, if you make someone "uncomfortable". The gov will force you into line or out of business.

Now, I'm not saying we should discriminate, but if an individual has rights, surely the right to own and manage property the way he sees fit should be protected.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, well you shouldn't shake a baby either but some people do. It's a shame that we need laws to force employers to step beyond their bigotries, but we do.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well there ya go. You can work you butt off, start a business, and the gov FORCES you to comply with hiring practices they implement. Explain to me why they should be able to force their will in that situation, or even with compliance with Obamacare, on a business owner. (I'm thinking of Michael's/Hobby Lobby and the abortion pill/insurance issue)

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My money says that we're 12 years away from having a republican in the White House. All they want to talk about is social issues and they're on the wrong side of those battles. Quit fighting civil rights, it's just stupid and unattractive to our children who we taught to NOT judge people.

Actually all the media wants to quote them on is social issues. They can give a 45 minute speech on the economy and smaller government with 1 minute on social issues and guess what gets quoted. And the GOP is not fighting civil rights, never have and never will. In fact they have mostly led the fight for civil rights. They are fighting against government over reach and the forcing of left wing ideals on everybody else.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When choosing between 2 crappy parties, vote for the guy who will win because the other guy sucks.

Never give one party complete control of every political branch.

Too much Liberalim leads to excessive laws.

Too much Conservativism leads to festering issues.

We need less politicians and more statesmen.

Citizens need to remove career politicians from their own state.

Tax dollars are supposed to be spent but wisely.

Businesses are not voters and should have NO influence in elections.

Pacs and Super Pacs should be ignored, they are for single issues and extremism.

Understand that billions of dollars are spent trying to influence your vote, so it must be important and it must matter.

If your vote is important, stay focused and dont get sidetracked by the forces of propaganda.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well there ya go. You can work you butt off, start a business, and the gov FORCES you to comply with hiring practices they implement. Explain to me why they should be able to force their will in that situation, or even with compliance with Obamacare, on a business owner. (I'm thinking of Michael's/Hobby Lobby and the abortion pill/insurance issue)

A business or business owner has no right to be that involved in the private lives of employees.

Employees are paid workers not slaves.

Do you really want stores and companies to run your private life?

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, well , well...
Seems to me the whole issue could be contained by the 10th amendment. We lost that particular legal point in April, 1865. Let the states decide for themselves how best to govern. Our schools, prisons, healthcare, traffic laws, drug laws, hiring laws - all dictated by Washington.

How many who say "I should have the right to marry who I want, the government should butt out" would be willing to say "I should be able to hire who I want, discriminate who I want, and allow or not allow who I want in my business or restaurant, the government should butt out"?

The right to say what you want in your own business, does not exist without the fear of government fining or shutting you down, because of sexist, racist, or particular religious view, if you make someone "uncomfortable". The gov will force you into line or out of business.

Now, I'm not saying we should discriminate, but if an individual has rights, surely the right to own and manage property the way he sees fit should be protected.

Ted, did you really just say that?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I said that. (property is the business, not the employees)
The Feds dictate how I can interview a potential employee, they dictate what kind of "atmosphere" the work environment is.

As for Lurker's comments - the employer does not have the right to be involved in anybody's private life, for sure. But why should the gov dictate what kind of health insurance a business must carry? Is the business not the owner's property to run as he/she sees fit?

I was in the automotive industry in the early 80s, and it was common to see the Snap-On calendars around shops everywhere. No big deal. The feminists or their lawyers began the campaign about sexist work environment. Fair enough, says I - vote with your money and your feet - don't work for, or spend money with shops that offend you. Nay, nay, says the lawyers - you, Mr. Shop owner, must remove these offensive items!

That's like me wanting to ban Dick's for their offending me. No - I'm not gonna get a lawyer, I simply don't do business with them. Same for Starbucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom