I Love Westerns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

i.imgur.com_56xEn.jpg

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love westerns, old ones, new ones, all of them. I am a stickler for historical acuracy so many of the older westerns kind of bug the crap out of me for the technical errors but a good "oater" is hard to beat. Love all the old James Stewart westerns and all the newer one with Robert Duvall and/or Tom Selleck.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sam Peckingpah's The Wild Bunch, also The Hanging Tree, especially the scene ln which, Doc Frail (Gary Cooper), after shooting Frenchie (Karl Maldin), very dead,unceremoniously kicks him over the side of the mountain, like a sack of oats. Also I'm probably going to get burned on this, but believe me I'm not a Hanoi Jane fan, anyway I really enjoyed Cat Ballou, mostly because of Lee Marvin.

plissken

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the great ones have already been mentioned. A great one not on the list is Little Big Man with Dustin Hoffman. Another favorite of mine, The Jack Bull. The Jack Bull is a made for T.V. with John Cusack. With the actors listed, you'd think "whatever, plissken don't know westerns". You'll be pleasantly surprised by both the movies and the actors.

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the great ones have already been mentioned. A great one not on the list is Little Big Man with Dustin Hoffman. Another favorite of mine, The Jack Bull. The Jack Bull is a made for T.V. with John Cusack. With the actors listed, you'd think "whatever, plissken don't know westerns". You'll be pleasantly surprised by both the movies and the actors.

I second that.
Both of those are great!

The Scalp Hunters is a fine one as well as Good Old Boys with tommy Lee Jones.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure I'll get flamed big time, but ... I didn't care much for most of the old Westerns. Too melodramatic and Hollywoodized for my taste - I roll my eyes every time I see someone get shot. The person stiffens, groans, and falls over slowly in an overly dramatic fashion while the camera captures the expression on his face in a very studio-like atmosphere. Please. Plus, there's no recoil at all whenever someone shoots a .45 revolver (with a stabbing motion)? Looks like they're shooting a starter pistol. Then there's the acting; how wooden and stereotypical can some of those characters get and still keep a straight face?

I liked "Unforgiven" better than most - it seemed more realistic and more gritty than the Westerns of the 1950s. I did like "Josey Wales" for the most part, as well as "Jeremiah Johnson."

Latest posts

Top Bottom