I Love Westerns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're not going to flame you. we will just direct you to post in thread that express its appreciation for La Cage aux folles, the Bird Cage, and Torch Song Triology, or alternatively you can post in the thread about Chick Flick Mania. We won't judge you.

Well, I'm sure I'll get flamed big time, but ... I didn't care much for most of the old Westerns. Too melodramatic and Hollywoodized for my taste - I roll my eyes every time I see someone get shot. The person stiffens, groans, and falls over slowly in an overly dramatic fashion while the camera captures the expression on his face in a very studio-like atmosphere. Please. Plus, there's no recoil at all whenever someone shoots a .45 revolver (with a stabbing motion)? Looks like they're shooting a starter pistol. Then there's the acting; how wooden and stereotypical can some of those characters get and still keep a straight face?

I liked "Unforgiven" better than most - it seemed more realistic and more gritty than the Westerns of the 1950s. I did like "Josey Wales" for the most part, as well as "Jeremiah Johnson."

Soothsayer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been teaching my 10-year-old son about them. We both love The Searchers, the new True Grit, The Cowboys, Dances With Wolves, Geronimo, and Last of the Dogmen (if you count that last one as a"Western"). I also like Josey Wales and Unforgiven. The Searchers is his favorite.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
folks seldom mention Tommy Lee Jones as a great cowboy actor, but his mannerisms, speech patterns, ability to actually ride a horse, etc, make him one of the best as far as i'm concerned. a few good ones of his,
Lonesome Dove
The Missing
The Good Ole Boys
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

for a good old "Cowboy" movie check out The Rounders

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
folks seldom mention Tommy Lee Jones as a great cowboy actor, but his mannerisms, speech patterns, ability to actually ride a horse, etc, make him one of the best as far as i'm concerned. a few good ones of his,
Lonesome Dove
The Missing
The Good Ole Boys
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

for a good old "Cowboy" movie check out The Rounders

Three Burials was great! Nobody remembers it because it came out around the same time as Brokeback, which was such a big deal at the time, everyone was talking about it. Late night, radio, and morning shows.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about Tom Selleck in "Quigley Down Under?" - (Bad Mofo). Of course, Josey Wales, Pale Rider, Lonesome Dove, and Tombstone are on my must see list over and over again and again. But I'll watch pretty much any good western when ever I can. I want one of them six-guns that never run out of boolets they used to have in the old ones.

Boatcephus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For some reason my favorite is Big Jake. Has some bad acting by the grown sons, but it's my favorite Duke character. I love the opening scene where Jake is watching the sheep farmer being strung up from a distance and tells himself he's not going to interfere. Then one of the vigilantes kicks the shepherd's son, so Jake says "Now what'd he have to go and do that for?" Right then you know those fellas are in for a visit from The Duke!

I also have to watch Open Range whenever it's on. Robert Duvall, when he gets to play a good guy, is one of the best. That movie is slow to develop, but has one of the best shootouts in the end of all Westerns.

I don't know why the hippies had to remake True Grit, but if you can separate it in your head and treat it as it's own movie, it's alright.

Josey Wales, Tombstone and El Dorado round out my Top 5.

Anyone watch Hell on Wheels? I really dig that show. Having a hard time resisting the urge to buy a cap and ball revolver kit!

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Wild Bunch, The Outlaw Jose Wales and Unforgiven have been my 3 fav westerns for awhile. Some of my other favs would have to be tombstone, my darling clementine, quigley down under, wyatt earp, the shootist, el dorado, mclintock, and legends of the fall (which is more of a western atmosphere).

Latest posts

Top Bottom