I need extra money!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
no ideas. i have been looking for work for 2 years....anything. havent found anything at all. job market sucks.

Not to hijack the thread, and not to be antagonistic, but I hear this same thing from the politicians arguing the extension of jobless benefits, for some reason I can't get my head wrapped around not finding a job that produces some income in 2 years. Is this due to the fact that your area has absolutely no jobs at all, or are you over qualified? I would personally take just about anything, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, versus not working at all. But since I haven't been in those shoes I really don't know. Again I am not being mean or derogatory, I'm just trying to understand not working for 2 years.

I have a masters degree and am currently working two part time jobs to get by. One is as a cashier at Lowes and the other is a part time office assistant. Talk about humbling oneself. Despite the small paychecks, we're getting by and it has also been a strong personal growth experience. It's been very humbling.

I have a decent job opportunity that will likely open this summer, but until then, I'll still be cashiering and filing papers.

I like to remember this song from Montgomery Gentry when I start worrying about how much I'm making (or not making):

That's something to be proud of
That's a life you can hang your hat on
You don't need to make a million
Just be thankful to be workin'
If you're doing what you're able
And putting food there on the table
And providing for the family that you love
That's something to be proud of

And if all you ever really do is the best you can
Well, you did it man

I grew up in Altus. I know there's not much there, but you can find work, even if it's minimum wage. I never have sympathy for people who say they absolutely cannot find work. It may not be the kind of work you want or pay what you want, but it's there. Wal-Mart, United, bank teller, janitor at the hospital?

Heck, Lawton is only about 45 minutes away and is the third largest city in the state. I used to think that was an eternity when I lived in Altus, but since moving to the OKC area, I've been doing a minimum of 30 minute commute each way for the past 3 years (that's when traffic is good).

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, and not to be antagonistic, but I hear this same thing from the politicians arguing the extension of jobless benefits, for some reason I can't get my head wrapped around not finding a job that produces some income in 2 years. Is this due to the fact that your area has absolutely no jobs at all, or are you over qualified? I would personally take just about anything, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, versus not working at all. But since I haven't been in those shoes I really don't know. Again I am not being mean or derogatory, I'm just trying to understand not working for 2 years.

Key words right there. 2 years ago I was a roughneck, making 4k a month and sitting on top of the world. Now, i'm an unemployed bum living with my wifes parents sucking the unemployment tit. I'm out looking for work as often as I can be, usually three days a week. Have not had one single lead since August. Not one callback to any of my applications. And why would I go work at Wal-Mart for $250 every two weeks when I make $409 a week on unemployment? That is what unemployment is for, to find a similar paying job.

If you have a good recession proof job, good for you. I am happy that you can provide for you and your family. But when that manager comes and hands you your pinkslip, and tells you that in order to keep the higher ups working they're going to have to lay you off (exactly what happened to me), you'll know exactly how it feels. It kills me every week to have to file for that unemployment check, but i'm damn sure glad to have it.

It's hard to understand until you've walked a mile in a broken down man's shoes. And until you have, I don't think you have any place talking that person down.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Key words right there. 2 years ago I was a roughneck, making 4k a month and sitting on top of the world. Now, i'm an unemployed bum living with my wifes parents sucking the unemployment tit. I'm out looking for work as often as I can be, usually three days a week. Have not had one single lead since August. Not one callback to any of my applications. And why would I go work at Wal-Mart for $250 every two weeks when I make $409 a week on unemployment? That is what unemployment is for, to find a similar paying job.

That would be incorrect. It is to help stabilize you until you can find work, period.

The difference between unemployment and taking a job that pays less is that while working you can work hard at what you're doing and move up the company ladder or at least get raises.

Unemployment is a crutch to help you get by. But as like any crutch, the injury will heal one day and the crutch will be taken away. Then what will you do?

I have a feeling the lower wage jobs will start to disappear when people's unemployment checks stop. Then what will you do?

As someone in the Service industry who seen what people were making years ago I can tell you first hand, the days of a forklift driver making 20.00 an hour are gone for the foreseeable future.

Good luck in your job search.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lurker, I totally understand what you are saying, but when it comes down to just trying to get the most money one can get, it is hard to argue 250 every two weeks is better than 409 a week.

Part of the problem is that the system is not set up to help a person succeed. It penalizes a person who is trying to better themselves by making it more lucrative to stay on the government program. There should be graduated benefits and incentives to those who secure jobs.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe your wife could babysit a few kids along with the one coming? My mom did this the whole time I was in school. I think the going rate is about $75 to $100 per week per kid. Not bad scratch if she can stand the other rug rats. I know several people including my brother who had he'll finding a good babysitter, so I think there I'd a market for it if you live if an urban environment.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Lurker, I totally understand what you are saying, but when it comes down to just trying to get the most money one can get, it is hard to argue 250 every two weeks is better than 409 a week.

I totally agree with you. I could understand the part of 125.00 versus 409.00. My comment was directed at the part where he said it was so he could find a comparable paying job.

I am just thankful I am not in this situation. It does piss me off when I go to a customer site and they tell me they can't find people to work or show up for training after they hire them.. And these are 10 to 15 dollar an hour jobs...

I just hope people realize these benefits won't keep getting extended forever.. At least I hope not..

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There is work. Even in Altus. Dairy farmers are always hiring, go hang Christmas lights, deliver firewood, mend fences....what ever it takes. Having money is a choice...MAKE IT! (and turn off the computer and playstation)

be careful about being so judgemental about a situation you know pretty much nothing about.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom