I Need To Kill Plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you use Hyvar, you might regret it. My tree business gets a calls every year from people that have used this stuff. It leaches under ground and will travel. People spray their fence row and end up killing their trees that may be located as far as 100 feet away. Good ol brush killer mixed with some diesel or Dawn will usually do the trick. I leave the soil sterilizer to oil field pads where it is used quite a bit.

Does this Brusk Killer have a name?

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes brush Killer

Ok. I will try and get some. I got the pole installed yesterday, going to set in concrete until Saturday when the panels go up. I am also getting an Ax in today, going to go over to the neighbor's side and chop down some small trees my guys did not get to.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Surflan is the chemical to get rid of sand burrs.

If your yard is small enough, you can pull the sand burr plants by hand. That's what I've been doing on my 3-acre property for several years, and the incidence of sand burrs has dropped noticeably. Safer for the environment, and it's not hard to do once you figure out how to get to the base of the plants underneath the burrs. Just make sure to dispose of the burrs in an empty dog food bag or other sturdy material to keep the burrs from getting back into the soil.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your yard is small enough, you can pull the sand burr plants by hand. That's what I've been doing on my 3-acre property for several years, and the incidence of sand burrs has dropped noticeably. Safer for the environment, and it's not hard to do once you figure out how to get to the base of the plants underneath the burrs. Just make sure to dispose of the burrs in an empty dog food bag or other sturdy material to keep the burrs from getting back into the soil.

Surfland is a pre emergent and is not dangerous to the environment that I am aware. It does not kill anything, it renders seeds sterile so they dont germinate. I use a similar yet cheaper (Prowl) for this on 8 acres and it keeps all weeds at bay, including sandburs.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Surfland is a pre emergent and is not dangerous to the environment that I am aware. It does not kill anything, it renders seeds sterile so they dont germinate. I use a similar yet cheaper (Prowl) for this on 8 acres and it keeps all weeds at bay, including sandburs.

Surflan contains oryzalin, which is in the class of dinitroanilines; it's classified as Toxicity Class III (low toxicity), but is a likely carcinogen in chronic dosages. It's also highly toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms, and can leach into the groundwater in soils with low organic content. The latter probably is not a good idea if you or your neighbors are on well water, as I am.

It boils down to how much you want a yard free of pests versus how much you want to avoid contaminating the environment.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Digging them out is certainly the best way.
If any survive the Surflan and germinate or animals bring them on to the place, which happens on a regular basis in my yard I have a fork tool that is sharpened to cut the plant below the crown. I've removed front end loader buckets with that method.
My yard is way too big to use that as a primary method of control.
I'm on a well too, but it's 3/10 mile away.
We live on a ridge 129' above it. Anything leaching would have to penetrate 3 layers of bed rock.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wont argue that chemicals are bad but how much effect will it really have for me to stop spraying my 8 acres when Farmer campbell is hiring a crop duster every year, right across the road, to spray 300 acres of wheat?
I'm not on a well and those that are near me are 300' deep. I use Prowl in light doses just to keep the burrs at bay. Nothing else. I believe without a doubt its much safer than 24-d and MSMA which I used before I knew much.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dupont Hyvar.............sterilizes the soil and lasts for a long time, a year or longer depending on conditions. MAKE SURE it's not going to rain for a several days after application. It will run off and sterilize where ever it runs off........but it works really well.

This +infinity. Also as okie says do not I repeat do not spray it if there's a chance of rain for at least three preferably five days. The EPA and Oklahoma dept of food and forestry will come visit if you mix diesel or used oil and apply it to the ground and get caught. (That's a big if ) hyvar works wonders. It's what a lot of companies put down around oil/gas locations. Also use a good tank cleaner after you use it.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom