I think I wanna start Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never been hunting a day in my life. I had never even fired a firearm until I joined the Marines. For some reason I have been wanting to give it a try. Something about it just appeals to me but I dont' really know how to get started or even where to hunt. I have no idea what types of gun are best. I probably won't have a chance to even go until next year with all the stuff I got going on right now but that'll give me a year to get ready at least. Any suggestions?

I think deer hunting is what interests me most.

MarcusR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well you have to start small and make sure you like it. I would say reserch guns first. You can spend all kinds of money if you want, but i would suggest something that is not to expensive and a decent scope. You might want to look into predator hunting as well. Deer hunting is a waiting game and take lots of time in the woods. Predator hunting can be a 20 mintue sit here and a 20 minute sit there. But I would encourage you to start hunting what ever. It is very fun and relaxing at times. Im not expert by any means but would answer any questions that you have. Good Luck.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never been hunting a day in my life. I had never even fired a firearm until I joined the Marines. For some reason I have been wanting to give it a try. Something about it just appeals to me but I dont' really know how to get started or even where to hunt. I have no idea what types of gun are best. I probably won't have a chance to even go until next year with all the stuff I got going on right now but that'll give me a year to get ready at least. Any suggestions?

I think deer hunting is what interests me most.

Deer hunting is a great choice. Yes, it can be boring if all you want to do is shoot, but it can be very challenging and rewarding if you enjoy nature. If you own a rifle that's legal to take a deer, then I would say to use it first. Even an open sighted rifle can make a great gun if you are in dense timber. I would also highly recommend hunting with someone that is fairly experienced. Hunting with a partner is a good idea for many reasons, but just having someone that knows about their habitat and basic techniques can help you get started right. Plus, it's always nice to have help dressing deer!

In my opinion, picking a rifle caliber depends on a few things such as location, fun, and cost. If you have nothing but open pasture, you'll want a flat-shooting quick round that has precise accuracy. If you are in thick woods, a bigger, slower round like a 30-30 can be ideal for a brush-gun. A little twig or small limb won't necessarily knock it off target like it would to a small/fast round. A gun needs to be fun to shoot and comfortable. I know plenty of guys that have magnum rifles that can't shoot well because they hate pulling the trigger. That's all just my opinion though. Good luck!

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got started this year. I had never been hunting because of my mom's fear of guns due to one of my dad's uncles blowing one hand and most of his fingers on the other off with a shotgun. There were always guns in the house, but I think I only saw my dad get them out every now and then when a pesky critter couldn't be shooed off any other way.

Last year, we were talking about guns and he expressed interest in looking for a deer gun to hunt with once he decides to retire. I never really spent much time with my dad growing up; I was always partial to making things work my way on the computer. I think he's only gone hunting a couple of times since they got married 35 years ago.

So I decided this year I'd take the hunter safety class and go hunting with him. It's great being out away from everything else and getting to spend some father-son time together!

We did a little dove hunting and got four dove pretty close to the beginning of the season. Then the drought came and the pond we had permission at dried up, so we had to wait for the rains to fill it back up. By that time, though, the dove had moved on. Even though neither of us fired a shot that day, we had a great time.

Now we're looking for turkey on another friend's land. I've almost though about seeing if my wife wanted to come along simply because its the kind of land she likes. Even less than a 1/4 mile from the road, it feels like you're in a whole 'nother world.

I really don't care if we get a turkey or not. I'm having a great time with my dad, and that's all that really matters. Of course, the rule my wife has is "if you kill it, you gotta eat it", and that's perfectly fine with me. (Hopefully, though, I can introduce her to turkey that isn't barcoded this Thanksgiving!)

We won't be doing any deer this year, but we might next year. Part of that is because it will likely be really cold by that time, and I won't have gotten back into decent enough shape to keep my asthma under control.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In order to start deer hunting just meet someone or do some research for a spot on some public land to hunt. You will need a rifle, bow, or blackpowder rifle. Different seasons for each. If you want to rifle hunt as long as the gun is legal is all that matters. You were in the Marines, same as me so any legal rifle would suit you ok as long as you learn the ballistics of the bullet depending on how far you plan to shoot. Most of the deer I see on our land is within 5 to 75 yds. You will also need a blaze orange vest and hat. It's normally cold in November during rifle season so you will want to wear layers to stay warm. A good pair of boots, I don't do so well if I can't feel my feet. I do wear cammies (the ones I wore in the Marines) and it is my time to spend with my dad every year.

Other than that you have a year to find a spot and do some research on deer activities in the woods. Then it's getting out there and trying it out. Some people like it, some don't. Hope you find what you are looking for...

A lot of very experienced people on here so ask away with any questions you have. Everyone here will usually help you any way they can.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly I only own a handgun right now. I'm actually going to purchase a .22 bolt action rifle next weekend at Wanamachers(SP) if I can find a good enough deal. I got my eye on the Savage 64 or Savage MKII. Can't decide if I want a semi auto or bolt action.

I know a .22 is not much of a hunting gun but I don't want to spend the money on a hunting rifle and then not enjoy hunting. I'll buy the .22 and get used to firing a long gun again then maybe consider buying something else next year if I end up going.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly I only own a handgun right now. I'm actually going to purchase a .22 bolt action rifle next weekend at Wanamachers(SP) if I can find a good enough deal. I got my eye on the Savage 64 or Savage MKII. Can't decide if I want a semi auto or bolt action.

I know a .22 is not much of a hunting gun but I don't want to spend the money on a hunting rifle and then not enjoy hunting. I'll buy the .22 and get used to firing a long gun again then maybe consider buying something else next year if I end up going.

You could so some small varmint; Rabbits and squirrels.

Some people will probably choke over what I am about to say, but if you want something cheap for deer hunting, you could always look into a cheaper single shot (.223, .243, .30-06). Know anybody that already hunts in your area? That would be my best bet on trying it out with minimal investment, specially if the buddy had a selection of suitable long guns.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really can't think of anyone off the top of my head that hunts. The only guy I know who remotely hunts lives in Nebraska now but he may be back by next year. I'm sure I can find someone I know that hunts though. My brother doesn't hunt either but he runs around with enough rednecks that I might be able to find someone :)

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The downside to picking up a .22 is that there isn't much you can hunt with it and you might get bored fast. I think you will find plenty of nice, iron sight rifles at that gun show for $200-300.

Latest posts

Top Bottom