I want help buying a new pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're not too worried about budget, then I'd skip past the Kimbers and look at a Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nawlan, or Wilson Combat.

Ed Brown Cobra Carry would be nice *drool*

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much money are you willing to spend?

$2000+ = Wilson, Ed Brown, or a Full Custom.

If you go Full Custom, I would check out both Ted Yost at www.heirloomprecision.com and John Harrison at www.harrisoncustom.com.

I have a Wilson Combat CQB and can attest to its incredible quality. IMHO, (and the opinion of LV), the CQB is the best value in its price range. There is also the CQB Elite, Protector, and Super Grade. All are outstanding. Models come in government, commander, and compact sizes. www.wilsoncombat.com

I personally really like the looks of both the Ed Brown Executive Elite and the Ed Brown Special Forces. www.edbrown.com

I prefer Ed Brown and Wilson for semi-customs, but there are a couple more companies that a prospective buyer should also check out to have a full view of the available options.

Nighthawk www.nighthawkcustom.com
Springfield Custom Carry and Springfield Pro www.springfield-armory.com
Les Baer www.lesbaer.com
Volkmann www.volkmanncustom.com
Fusion Firearms www.fusionfirearms.com

As far as Production 1911s, I suggest looking at:
Springfield TRP
Dan Wesson Valor/CBOB
STI Ranger II
Colt Combat Elite XSE
Springfield MC Operator (if you want a rail)

Those are the ones that I would suggest as far as 1911s go.

For non-1911 .45s, I agree wholeheartedly with olyeller. The M&P45 is imho the best polymer 45 available. It can be modified to have a better trigger, a more comfortable grip, and more sight and aftermarket options than most other 45s.

You already have the third non-1911 45 I'd recommend. The P220. I personally prefer the SAO SIGs. (only because I despise DA/SA)

In .45, I really see no reason to not go with the 1911. It is the best platform for the caliber. It can be just as easily concealed as any other handgun. Get a good quality 1911, and you shouldn't have to worry about the internet myth that 1911s are always unreliable. Mine has probably about 4,000 rounds now between me and the previous owner. 0 Malfs. Go with quality and good luck! ;)

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely check out Heckler & Koch. I'm extremely happy with my HK45...one hell of a polymer pistol. It's fed anything I've thrown at it and is every bit as accurate as my Kimber 1911. Also, it has a 1911 grip angle and a single stack magazine (though the grip is still a lot wider).

I've heard that the USP is the better compact compared to the HK45C, but I can't speak from experience. All will run $900-1000-ish.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seek out reliability. You want that thing to go bang everytime. Keep in mind that a full size pistol is fairly easy to conceal.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Even though it hasn't been mentioned, it is a very reliable, very accurate, and fairly thin .45ACP, the Ruger P345. Plus you'll save enough to buy more bullets, mags, holster, and such.
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom