I Was Reminded Today Of Why I Like Self-Checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If my folks were still alive (bless their souls) they would chit down both legs at "customer service" nowadays.

In the 70s, when I was a kid in Claremore, we owned a little mom & pop store. Not a huge place, but we sold the usual stuff...pop, beer, chips, cigs, candy, a small amount of groceries and we had a cold cut, meat and cheese deli.

At 5 years of age, I was standing on a milk crate, greeting our customers (usually by name, if I could remember it)
running an old timey cash register (non electric) making change, counting their change back to them instead of shoving a wad of cash and coin at them, saying "$8.37 is your change" and conversing in small chit/chat about anything and everything.

Like I said, if I knew their names, I would address them by it, but it was always Mrs. this or Mr. that, NEVER by their first name unless he or she requested I do so. And everytime they left the establishment, they always heard, "thank you - come again!" no matter how hateful or cranky they were.

My folks had two rules in their store...

Rule #1: The customer is ALWAYS right.
Rule #2: Refer back to Rule #1.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If my folks were still alive (bless their souls) they would chit down both legs at "customer service" nowadays.

In the 70s, when I was a kid in Claremore, we owned a little mom & pop store. Not a huge place, but we sold the usual stuff...pop, beer, chips, cigs, candy, a small amount of groceries and we had a cold cut, meat and cheese deli.

At 5 years of age, I was standing on a milk crate, greeting our customers (usually by name, if I could remember it)
running an old timey cash register (non electric) making change, counting their change back to them instead of shoving a wad of cash and coin at them, saying "$8.37 is your change" and conversing in small chit/chat about anything and everything.

Like I said, if I knew their names, I would address them by it, but it was always Mrs. this or Mr. that, NEVER by their first name unless he or she requested I do so. And everytime they left the establishment, they always heard, "thank you - come again!" no matter how hateful or cranky they were.

Oh, the good old days respect and courtesy. Those days are long gone.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I remember a station like that. When you weren't old enough to buy beer, they would carry it around back and leave it for you to pick up. Can't find service like that these days.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

In an earlier life, I was the plant manager for a manufacturing plant that was a supplier to the auto manufacturers.

We worked under the rule, “The customer is always right, sometimes incredibly stupid, but still always right”.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stopped in OnCue this morning for a coffee and donut. Went to the counter, the young lady scanned the coffee cup and rang up the donut, without speaking a word. Then just frowned at me until I read the terminal to know how much to pay. I paid, she gave me my receipt, and continued her frown until I turned and left . Not a word, period.

Later this afternoon I went into the Walmart market, gathered my items, scanned them, paid the machine, and was finished, and the machine actually said "THANK YOU" as it printed my receipt.

And then I hear on the news about the minimum wage being raised.
Did the self checkout nazis smile as they checked your receipt? Or, as they groped you in the holding pen?

Latest posts

Top Bottom