If you left you shotgun ....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha niiiice.... you got an approximate location where this happened? Was this person doing something wrong and ran when the GW came? or just packed up decoys and accidentily left their gun?

okieboomer1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Haha niiiice.... you got an approximate location where this happened? Was this person doing something wrong and ran when the GW came? or just packed up decoys and accidentily left their gun?

It was lake T-bird...don't really care if I give away this spot...every dork with a shotgun goes there, and shoots at birds 100 yrds off...nothing will land, or come in range. This spot also has at least three different groups that think they are award winning duck callers...they suck, the birds give them the middle feather, and fly off. Now some dumb a** leaves his shotgun on the fence in the parking area...waited for the park ranger ~ 45 minutes, he left a note with contact info. I asked him if no one claimed it was it a finders keepers situation...he said no, that the state won't even auction off the gun, they will melt it down.
Wanted to keep it, but don't want to break the law on public hunting land with a firearm, nor did I want to leave it for kids or criminals to find.

-Maximus-

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was lake T-bird...don't really care if I give away this spot...every dork with a shotgun goes there, and shoots at birds 100 yrds off...nothing will land, or come in range. This spot also has at least three different groups that think they are award winning duck callers...they suck, the birds give them the middle feather, and fly off. Now some dumb a** leaves his shotgun on the fence in the parking area...waited for the park ranger ~ 45 minutes, he left a note with contact info. I asked him if no one claimed it was it a finders keepers situation...he said no, that the state won't even auction off the gun, they will melt it down.
Wanted to keep it, but don't want to break the law on public hunting land with a firearm, nor did I want to leave it for kids or criminals to find.

Not true, had the warden come out to my friends land with 20 of us to shoot some clays. He brought the auto thrower, clays, ammo, and guns. All the guns he brought were picked up like this one or taken from idiots that can't hunt legally.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
can't they run the numbers on it and find the owner? when you reg.one they give the ser # if i remember right.

When is the last time you registered a gun in Oklahoma? The correct answer should be "never." If a weapon is used in a crime, there are some things the law can do to find out who might have bought it originally (sometimes) but there is no registration in this state.

About the left behind shotgun, this stuff happens now and then. Skeet ranges are a good place to leave a shotgun, and I have secured a few for absent minded shooters. Left one myself once, and called the range. Had a friend take it home (range had no security). CB

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When a gun is "registered" the number stays with the dealer who recorded it.
We don't turn over the numbers, If they have a number they are trying to find they will call us and ask if it is a number we registered but that could take days for each of us and with thousands of us dealers it could take a month to find out who bought the gun. and records only go back 20 years.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We were hunting west of Newkirk one time on a well traveled road. It had snowed the night before, and my buddy leaned his OU on the passenger side tire. He got in, forgetting to put the gun in his case.
We got home, and the light bulb came on. Drove back out there, (20 miles) and the shotgun was still laying in the snow, with fresh vehicle tracks not far from it. He was lucky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom