If you like blackberries,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can always tell when it's Berry Season.
The bird splotches on your freshly waxed car change from black & white to black, white & purple,
Luckily, the birds eat them dang bugs too.
Even the bugs that are after the Berry crop.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup. It's Berry Season, alright.
I just went out to grab a big, freshly laundered, sun dried, purple bird spotted bedspread off the line.
Dang birds.
Looks like more tree trimming is in order.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We seem to be getting good timed rain and by July the black berries may produce well.
Knock on wood it happens like that.
Mine are bigger than my thumb and just now starting to turn. I swear I nearly start drooling when I look at them.

This is my first season with the freeze dryer and me feeling halfway decent. I haven't even picked berries the last four years. Also the first year in fou that I've cleaned up dead canes and done any pruning. Soon as berries are done cooking I'm gonna propogate some more plants and fill that bed back in. It's starting to look kinda ragged to say the least.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Planted Arapaho and Navaho Thornless this spring and they are growing like bad weeds, cranking out lots of new canes. Looking forward to June next year and some fresh cobbler. Years ago we had both of those varieties (plus some Chester Thornless) but sadly after many years I got busy with other things and ruined the patch through neglect, ended up brush hogging it a few years ago. Since then we really have missed those wonderful berries, needed to get some going again. 1-gallon starts of most hybrids have at least tripled in price over the years. Now up to around $20-$30+ per plant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom