I'm a scope-tard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been reading through the scope threads and all the data is a bit overwhelming. Please forgive my ignorance, but I shoot mainly iron sights. Lately I've had a weird scope craving gnawing at me. Please help me find something sensible for 223/556 application. I don't mind spending the right amount of dinero but don't want to overkill.

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to do.

Do you want something with a mildot to estimate range?

Do you want turret adjustments to adjust for longer ranges?

Or do you just want something you can point and shoot, with a little bit of kentucky windage out to modest ranges?

In any case spend money on decent glass. You can spend as much as you want on scopes, 2 and 3 thousand dollars is easy. But, if you want somehting simple (say your basic 3-9X40) you can get an entry level Leupold for around the 200 dollar mark, or mabye a Nikon for a little less. And either one of those brands would give you very decent glass.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been reading through the scope threads and all the data is a bit overwhelming. Please forgive my ignorance, but I shoot mainly iron sights. Lately I've had a weird scope craving gnawing at me. Please help me find something sensible for 223/556 application. I don't mind spending the right amount of dinero but don't want to overkill.

I definitely know how you feel.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to do.

Do you want something with a mildot to estimate range?

Do you want turret adjustments to adjust for longer ranges?

Or do you just want something you can point and shoot, with a little bit of kentucky windage out to modest ranges?

In any case spend money on decent glass. You can spend as much as you want on scopes, 2 and 3 thousand dollars is easy. But, if you want somehting simple (say your basic 3-9X40) you can get an entry level Leupold for around the 200 dollar mark, or mabye a Nikon for a little less. And either one of those brands would give you very decent glass.

Yes, 1 & 2. Kentucky windage is all I've done in the past. I've hear good things on Leupold, Bushnell, and Nikon. Any advantage of one brand over another?

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, 1 & 2. Kentucky windage is all I've done in the past. I've hear good things on Leupold, Bushnell, and Nikon. Any advantage of one brand over another?

Not necessarily. All make good stuff, however I do not recommend a sub 100 dollar Bushnell from wal-mart. Those suck, Dad went through a few that wouldnt hold a zero on his .30-06. But if your wanting things like turret adjustments, youll be looking at a good quality Bushnell.

If you want a mil-dot, I recommend you look into how to actualyl use one first. Its not that complicated. If you dont take the time to do that all youve got is a more expensive scope with cool looking dots in the crosshairs.

I personally am not much of a fan on the reticles out there that are marked ahead of time for drop and such. But thats because Im a handloader and like the flexibility of changeing my load if the mood strikes me. If I change my load a reticle like that that may have once worked would become alot less usefull.

Nikon however, has just introduced a new line of scope using there BDC reticle. It has turret adjustments, and is designed specifically for 223/5.56. I get the hunch your putting this scope on an AR?

http://www.nikonhunting.com/riflescopes-m-223.html

N3TD3ViL

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Check the thread about SightMark scopes in this forum. I asked a lot of the same questions and there's a TON of info in there. One brand you left out is Vortex and from all the reading I've been doing about it, you should consider it as well.

Sightmark Scopes Thread

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check the thread about SightMark scopes in this forum. I asked a lot of the same questions and there's a TON of info in there. One brand you left out is Vortex and from all the reading I've been doing about it, you should consider it as well.

Sightmark Scopes Thread

There are definetly more brands than I mentioned. The ones I threw out are just some of the biggest names that youll see alot of anywhere you go.

N3TD3ViL

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was considering Bushnell but after reading about the Vortex Viper PST series, I have changed my mind. From what I've read, their warranty has been compared to Leupold which is pretty rock solid. Not only that, but the Vortex reticles are etched in the glass instead of being made of wire. As for clarity, the Vortex has been compared to the Nikon Monarch and the Leupold scopes.

Here's the link for the Vortex lineup.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/riflescopes

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
start with a fixed high quality scope. don't settle for less than the best glass you can afford. not unusual to have more invested in scope than rifle it's sitting on.

got a butt load of high end scopes, but what I use by choice on my deer rifle... 50's Weatherby .270 is a fixed 4x Unertl

used 4x Leupold scopes pop up on classifies for $125-$150 range. but they go quick! Leupold has a lifetime warranty that follows scope, not original purchaser.

used Leupold scopes have turned out to be excellent investments.
it's not hard to recoup most if not all your $$$ back..

watch for academy sales on Leupold rifleman series for very reasonable prices.

Latest posts

Top Bottom