I'm a scope-tard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was considering Bushnell but after reading about the Vortex Viper PST series, I have changed my mind. From what I've read, their warranty has been compared to Leupold which is pretty rock solid. Not only that, but the Vortex reticles are etched in the glass instead of being made of wire. As for clarity, the Vortex has been compared to the Nikon Monarch and the Leupold scopes.

Here's the link for the Vortex lineup.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/riflescopes

Looks good. Got me interested. Im gonna need some binos when I get back to the states. Havent gotten to hunt in Washington since I got stationed there and Im lookin foreward to taggin my first Mulie.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really, the first thin you need to define is your max budget. We can recommend scopes that can fit what you're asking from probably $500+ to $3000+. The Bushnell Elite 4200 and 6500 are good scopes for the money. The Vortex Viper is gaining quite a following. Nightforce is the next echelon in the $1600 range. Then you get to top shelf like USO, Schmidt & Bender PMII, Premier, Zeiss Hensoldt in the $2500 - $3k+ range.

Leupold may have a good warranty, but for the money at the top end of Leupold's price range there is better glass for the money.

MadDawg

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If we are talking about a 5.56 then some parameters are there.

Recoil is a nit
Range limited to 600 yards
BDCs are LCCDI but not all that and a bag of chips.
Max mag can stay around 6X, 4 works well too.
Mildots are cool but for the 5.56 several other range methods work well.

Oh and about wire reticles, long gone the way of buggy whips.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
let's clarify that... wanting or needing?

for a first scope ... much better off getting the best glass you can afford vs the most feature you can afford.

don't get me wrong.... having mil-dots and turret adj is super cool, but would be priced $$$$...quality glass with those features start at $1,000+

vs it's easy to find lower end scope with those type features. which aprox same cost as a super nice glass in 4x Leupold that I originally suggested.

The rifleman is a good series of scope but they dont have the options hes wanting.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say heck with Mil-Dots! I use the MOA/MOA now and the headaches have stopped and my eyesight has improved :-) I know there are a mess of scopes out there and I was hell bent on a NXS but well things happen in life and you have to settle sometimes for something that fits the budget a tad better. I have 2 of these scopes and love them! they are not on the same shelf as say a March or Nightforce but they are very good scopes and I have nothing to say but good things about the guy that makes them plus he's in Oklahoma, do a search for WoTac Optics. Later,

Kirk

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we are talking about a 5.56 then some parameters are there.

Recoil is a nit
Range limited to 600 yards
BDCs are LCCDI but not all that and a bag of chips.
Max mag can stay around 6X, 4 works well too.
Mildots are cool but for the 5.56 several other range methods work well.

Oh and about wire reticles, long gone the way of buggy whips.

How is the range limited to 600 yards? Don't they shoot 1000 yards with irons at Perry? They shoot 5.56 at the gun club at 600 yards like it's a cake walk.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a price range set, but pretty sure I don't need $3k+ glass. I would not hesitate to spend $1k+ for the right item. I prefer something adjustable over fixed. I'm mainly looking to educate myself on scope application, and calculating MIL/MOA.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read the optics faqs on the Sniper's Hide.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378812#Post378812

If you're down to spend over $1k. You're looking at Night Force. The NXS 3.5-15x50 is a great scope. You want your clicks to match your reticle. If you have MOA clicks you need a reticle graduated in MOA. Nightforce has the NP-R1 reticle which I've used and is great. You get .25 moa turrets and the NP-R1 and you'll be happy. Or, you can go with 0.1 MIL clicks and the MLR reticle from NF. Similar to the NP-R1 but in .1 mil instead of MOA. Basically depends on if you want to use centimeters and meters or inches and yards.

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightfo...5x50___3_5-15x56_/3_5-15x50___3_5-15x56_.html

There may even be a guy on here that would be willing to sell you his NXS 3.5-15x50 to get the 5.5-22. It is a NP-R1 with zero stop and 1/4 MOA clicks. I'll ask him if he's interested in selling if you want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom