I'm a scope-tard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is the range limited to 600 yards? Don't they shoot 1000 yards with irons at Perry? They shoot 5.56 at the gun club at 600 yards like it's a cake walk.

I agree. I do not think that the 5.56 is limited to 600yds with a scope. Watched some really awesome shooters put up some nice scores shooting AR-15's at 600yds with iron sights a few weeks back. I will say wind will definitely be fun to mess with at longer distances but the bullet is not 600yds limitied.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
why in the world would you spent $$$ 1,000 on your first scope???

if you must have mil-dot... best bang of the buck belongs to:
Bushnell 5x15 Legend with mil dot... optics are excellent!
easily equal to 4200 series or Leupold... drawback is size... it's largo... also mechanical are not as fine as higher end scopes.

lost track of pricing ... but about $165
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bu-5-15x40m-legend.html

use it... flog it.. find out if you really like it... then go out and spend that $1,000

I don't have a price range set, but pretty sure I don't need $3k+ glass. I would not hesitate to spend $1k+ for the right item. I prefer something adjustable over fixed. I'm mainly looking to educate myself on scope application, and calculating MIL/MOA.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
why in the world would you spent $$$ 1,000 on your first scope???

Why not? I'm not hardwired to spend $1k or more, but I'm keeping my options open. If I need to spend that much to get what I want then I'm cool with it.

However, I do appreciate all recommendations regardless of price.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
don't get me wrong... I'll be the first one to recommend spending the necessary $$$ to acquire quality glass. this is coming from someone who's got a butt load of quality glass.

I submit you really don't know what you need yet. even if you've got the budget... I'd still start off with a fixed Leupold 4x ...

Why not? I'm not hardwired to spend $1k or more, but I'm keeping my options open. If I need to spend that much to get what I want then I'm cool with it.

However, I do appreciate all recommendations regardless of price.

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't have a price range set, but pretty sure I don't need $3k+ glass. I would not hesitate to spend $1k+ for the right item. I prefer something adjustable over fixed. I'm mainly looking to educate myself on scope application, and calculating MIL/MOA.

Sounds like you are a candidate for the SWFA Super Sniper line. Read the reviews...Try to find a bad one. Looks absolutely bad arse on a tactical rifle. The only variable mag model they offer is 3-9x42. Heres a link. I own the 20x fixed model.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx

MadDawg

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I too have seen a few 5.56 rifles go to 1000, but they are HIGHLY specialized rifles that tread the very thin edge of stability and the spotter wind reading ability has to be superb.

Mostly what I see are nice ARs that can go 600 and after that they cant fight the wind well enough. If you think the rifles at Perry or any other 1000 yard venue are the same as those at Cabelas...

Well i got a bridge I'll sell you cheap!

There is a division of F-class called F-TR where 5.56 and 308 compete together. Under 600 the 5.56 is popular in some areas, true LR matches out to 1000 the 5.56 is scarce.

There is a reason.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
308 has much better ballistics past 600 with basically identical rifle regs for FTR. That's why they shoot it. That doesn't mean that 223 is limited to 600 yards. It means that 308 is better. A lot of the ARs shooting to 1k are similar to RRA national match guns. Not a shelf 16" gun, but not really exotic either. Good barrel, good sights, good trigger.

MadDawg

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good grief.
two Australians stop by here each year on their way to perry and workup their ARs. Let me assure everyone those rifles are a HELLOVA lot more than a good barrel and trigger.

Just out of curiosity, do you own a 'Perry' 5.56? Like I said, they are highly specialized rifles, i dont recall out OP saying he has a Perry Special. What do you think those rifles cost?

But I'll gladly spot for any off the shelf 5.56 trying for 1000. Even one with a woo-hoo special twist. Seen waaay too many should do 1000 rifles not get close.

Oh and just because I dont like myths, its not the rifle specs that give the 308 better 'specs' to 1000. Its the very cartridge itself. not that the 308 is all that and a bag of chips, but the 5.56 sucks butt.

just a bit of wind and most here would throw in the towel... but if beleiving because a very select few can do it then the door is open for everyone...

Well that bridge is still for sale.

Stick to 600 and when you cant miss at that distance then you can spend the big bucks for a 'Perry' special.

Latest posts

Top Bottom