I'm buggin' out!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Come on I'm not stupid, I chose the 22 pistol because I can carry a lot of ammo for little weight and it's perfect for small game, I'm not going to be takin' down any mooses.
the 9mm is for protction, I don't know if a 45 can penitrate a bear hide so I chose the 9mm, I have a tokarev tt-33 in 7.62x25 but I think that might over penatrate with little stopping power. I would like a rifle but it's just to heavy

But really make sure you take a good knife and hatchet and (atleast) hundred feet of rope/paracord .
ETA: and something to sharpen the knife

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
kbolt, I know this isn't a vacation hike through the woods, but it still sounds extremely exciting. I completely understand the want to not even take a cell phone, the more options you have to back out, or at least communicate with the outside world (which is opposite of your plan, obviously) the more likely you are to go astray and end up with a failure of a mission. Eliminate those options and you're basically forced to complete what you sent out to do.

I wish you the best of luck, do your homework, triple check your supplies and education on using those supplies before you go, and then right before you go, triple check it all again. You want to make sure you have a bulletproof gameplan before you back out of your driveway.

Please, for yourself and for us, take a notepad and paper, make a journal. I would love to read about it (if you feel like sharing), but if you ever feel like in the future you're going down the same path that's lead you to want to do this, read through the journal and refresh your memory with what you really learned about yourself while you were out there.

Again, best of luck. I've got a lot of respect for someone taking the journey head on.

We'll still be here when you get back, see you then!

Exactly!! you get it
Thanks for your support
I'll be back on here in a few weeks and tell ya all about it

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all, unless your cell phone is a satellite phone, I doubt it would do you much good anyway. I've spent a fair bit of time in the Colorado Rockies and cell service can be really spotty.

Personally, I would normally caution against doing this at this time of year, but, it would be far better now than even in November. If you were talking beyond November, I might would recommend your wife handcuff you the the back fence.

While you have been doing some satellite viewing, keep in mind that some streams that show up on satellite photos may not be running in October. After all, a lot of those streams are fed by snow melt.

If you go, keep the journal in case they carry out your remains. It won't be much, but you wife would still have your last thoughts. And, if you survive, we will welcome reading of your experience.

In my case, my wife and I have been married nearly 42 years. She is my life and a good reason for my unending desire to continue to live. By my signature, you can see that I am something of a photographer, and within the last year to a year and half, she has taken up the hobby as well. We really love the mountains ourselves and it is beyond a joy to share things together.

I might also suggest that you arrange for someone to keep your vehicle while you are gone. Otherwise, you might be missing a battery upon your return.

Good luck in your venture, and I sincerely hope you find some peace with your trip.

Terry

Rick W

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to comment on the spiritual aspect of your trip.
Although a backpacking trip through the Colorado wilderness would be a great experience, it isn't necessary to do that to find wisdom and direction for your life.God is near to all of us, and wants to help you here and now. If I can quote the Bible (James 1:5) "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God,who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him...."
I understand wanting to get away and immerse yourself in a beautiful and challenging environment. However, it's NOT necessary to be selfish in your quest for direction in your life.
Others have a stake in this, too, and will be affected by the outcome.Your wife,your friends, and your dog all will be deeply affected by the outcome. Please take their needs into your plans.
Rick W

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Terry, I was stationed at fort carson in my younger days and I always enjoyed going into the mountains this time of year.

You are welcome. While I am a firm believer in God, there is nothing quite like being in the mountains to get oneself rejuvenated. Of course, I think part of that is the close experience with nature and its creatures. I guess that is why my photographic love is nature and wildlife. Every opportunity to go is always welcomed.

Everytime we go to the mountains, I hurry to get there and wait as long as possible before leaving so I can stay there longer. The wife says I start to get a little cranky as soon as we start home.

Now, having said all that, I don't like the mountains in Winter. I just don't like the cold. Skiing......never. Can't see any reason to deliberately throw myself down a mountain.

Terry

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeeez! you guys are such a bunch babies....I hope the shtf thing never happens....99% of you people are doomed without your GPS, transponders and your designer gear that you have never used because you don't want to get it dirty.
There are two kinds of people on here "Walkers" and "Talkers" and it is very easy to spot which is which.
Most of you "talkers" have never even spent 2 days alone in your own house, Of coarse you would tremble at the thought of spending a couple weeks in the wilderness completly cut off from the outside world.
Us "walkers" just go out there and put our money where our mouth is.
We are a nation of leaders and followers "COME ON GUY'S.... THIS WAY!!" :wave:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jeeez! you guys are such a bunch babies....I hope the shtf thing never happens....99% of you people are doomed without your GPS, transponders and your designer gear that you have never used because you don't want to get it dirty.
There are two kinds of people on here "Walkers" and "Talkers" and it is very easy to spot which is which.
Most of you "talkers" have never even spent 2 days alone in your own house, Of coarse you would tremble at the thought of spending a couple weeks in the wilderness completly cut off from the outside world.
Us "walkers" just go out there and put our money where our mouth is.
We are a nation of leaders and followers "COME ON GUY'S.... THIS WAY!!" :wave:

Take it easy there high speed...you started the thread claiming to ask for 'advice and suggestions' and all you've done is spit on practically every suggestion given. And now you are casting stones and engaging in name calling.

Hop in your Lexus, pack your modern firearms into your modern pack and go do your thing, and hopefully come back safe...I wish you well, I really do, but if you want us all to lick your boots and bow before your hiking greatness, forget it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom