I'm buggin' out!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lately, My life seems to have taken on a life of it's own and I'm just along for the ride, Almost everything I do anymore is for someone else (work, friends, family ect...) I don't mind helping out, but every time the phone rings anymore it is someone wanting me to do something for them.

I feel like I am losing control over who I am and what I want out of life. Some might call it a mid-life crisis (I just call it needing to get the hell outta here for a while). so, I've decided to go on a trek-a-bout or a vision quest as the native americans would describe it.

I've spent the past couple of weeks researching and planning a two week, 127 mile long hike following the colorado trail along the continental divide to the summit of mt. elbert which is the tallest mountain in the rockies and the second highest in north america.

I'm leaving this friday, It's gonna be just me and my dog and whatever I can carry on my back, if I bring another person along it defeats the purpose, I have to do this alone.

It will be a mild paced hike, taking time to explore old gold mines and ghost towns and just enjoy the beauty of the area. I've allowed myself plenty of time to play around, I want to completly forget about schedules and routines.

My biggest challange right now is supplies and weight, because of the extra cold weather gear I will have to carry, I have to cut back in other areas, food will have to be at a minimum and I will have to live off of the land as much as possible. I won't be able to carry a rifle so I've decided to carry a taurus pt 99 for protection and a s&w 22a for small game hunting.

The rest of my gear constists of a front pack for all food and cooking supplies which will be kept seperate from all of my other gear so it can be stowed in a tree at night, a backpack with cold weather gear, first aid kit, lighting eqip., and various survival gear, fishing reel (no pole) and small tackle box, ex-cold weather sleeping bag, tent and web gear with two hand guns, hunting knife and ammo pouches. I am going to take a digital camera, It serves no survival purpose but, I'm not going through all this and not take any pictures!

This trip will put my survival skills to the test and I've decided to not take a cell phone. part of a vision quest is to sever all ties with the outside world and put one's fate into gods hands.

This is the biggest challange I have ever taken on and some people are telling me not to do it, I think this is something I have to do, I may never get another chance.

Although I have been militarily trained and I have done tons of hunting, camping and hiking, I am in no way an expert! I've still got a lot of prep work to do in the next six days, any tips and suggestions or advice would be greatly appriciated!

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest taking the cell phone just in case something happens and you need help. Also make sure people know your schedule and when you should be done. Turn the phone off if you want, but carry one.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take a small bottle of multi-vitamins. Also, you can get an emergency gps transponder too. It activates a distress beacon and let's emergency personell know where you are. You need to call the park service to where you will be hiking and notify them of your trip. Give them your start and stop dates. I know you don't want to be on a schedule but this gives them an idea if something goes wrong and they can plan on where to search.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest taking the cell phone just in case something happens and you need help. Also make sure people know your schedule and when you should be done. Turn the phone off if you want, but carry one.

I've thought long and hard about the cell phone and my wife is very upset about my decision, but I have to leave the cell phone behind.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pack hiking can be very liberating. I use to do it all over the Pecos Wilderness. Enjoy your time out there and for God's sake, "Take 'er easy, dude."

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought long and hard about the cell phone and my wife is very upset about my decision, but I have to leave the cell phone behind.

Your wife is right. Why would you not at least carry it with you turned off? If you are so totally against it, at least go with what darkrage says here:

Take a small bottle of multi-vitamins. Also, you can get an emergency gps transponder too. It activates a distress beacon and let's emergency personell know where you are. You need to call the park service to where you will be hiking and notify them of your trip. Give them your start and stop dates. I know you don't want to be on a schedule but this gives them an idea if something goes wrong and they can plan on where to search.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is a vision quest, not a vacation, I have to sever all ties with every other person on earth and put my fate in the hands of god.

I am even a little iffy about bringing the dog.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Why not get a cheap Disposable Pay as you go phone for 30$ and not give anyone the number, that way no one can contact you but you can call for help. ANyone going for a 100 mile journey by foot in fall/winter NEEDS a lifeline, if you are saying this will put your skills to the test especially.

Just keep this in mind, professional trekkers will NEVER leave the house without GeoTagging devices and GPS as well as a Satellite phone so they can reach help no matter where they are in the world.

bigbang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Just make sure you have a good life insurance policy just in case something happens and no one can find you. At least the rest of your family will be taken care of.

Latest posts

Top Bottom