I'm stuck, help me out! .308 or .260 round and round...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i love my 308 but i do as well want the 260, and on teh 7mm saum not being bucked by the wind if it has the same BC, well that is not true if they have the same BC then the wind will do the same to both, because both have teh same BC. Just because it is bigger in diameter, does not mean anything BC will determine that, use the debate at hand 308 is bigger than the 260, but the 260 will fly further, faster, and with more wid bucking ability, because the BC is better.

So again i love my 308 but badly want a 260 as well, i will one day soon LOL.

(I have not checked the BC of the 7mm, i was just going off of what was stated as it being teh same as the 260, so if the 7mm has better BC then it will be better then the 260.)

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i love my 308 but i do as well want the 260, and on teh 7mm saum not being bucked by the wind if it has the same BC, well that is not true if they have the same BC then the wind will do the same to both, because both have teh same BC. Just because it is bigger in diameter, does not mean anything BC will determine that, use the debate at hand 308 is bigger than the 260, but the 260 will fly further, faster, and with more wid bucking ability, because the BC is better.

So again i love my 308 but badly want a 260 as well, i will one day soon LOL.

(I have not checked the BC of the 7mm, i was just going off of what was stated as it being teh same as the 260, so if the 7mm has better BC then it will be better then the 260.)

Think I've about decided why would I not go with the .260. All I need is the dies and components (which I'll have to buy in .308 anyways with loaded ammo)...Wouldn't make much sense to settle on less performance just cause I'm being lazy, lol...

Oh yeah I understand the wind would affect the 6.5 and 7mm the same all being equal, but the Berger 180 Hybrids in 7mm have a BC of .674 while the heavy 140 Berger 6.5's have a BC of .592. I don't think they could hang. Also my father in law has a 7mm bullet pointer so that could get it up to .7 BC or maybe close...

If I can get my smith around next week maybe he can screw on this Bartlein barrel to my action!!

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I have decided to go with the 7mm SAUM. I've got all the stuff ready for the smith. I'm trying to build this .260 on a halfway budget, and it's getting more expensive all the time!!!

Anyone else want to interject?

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nah I'm going with the 700 platform for sure. Have an action, mcmillan stock, 6.5 Bartlein, BDL bottom metal, etc. I'm not a fan of savage or stevens and I don't think Marlin even makes a platform you would want to build on...

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Marlin 7 series are switch barrel, and as far as not being "savage/stevens fan" - it's your loss.

As far as caliber choice:
I think you are in the same bowl I was a few months back - too much time playing with ballistics software. Trigger time is going to stomp any efficient case and high BC - pick a caliber and just shoot, shoot A LOT!
If you want to practice - 308 is the king: longer barrel life, excellent ammo available over-the-counter, more open matches aka more competitive practice.
If you want to compete - 260 is going to give an edge (in the matches that allow it), but without practice you won't be able to capitalize on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom