In-season Scouting on Public Land--Proper Ettiquette?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently only have the gear for hunting rifle season (we'll do youth weekend, regular gun season, and antlerless gun season), and we'll be hunting public lands. So is there a way to properly scout without disrupting the bow hunters?

I'm mainly targeting remote corners of public lands and some areas that are hard to access, specifically to avoid (or take advantage of) the existing pressure. But I'd like to scout a few spots close to town so I can hunt before work too, and these tend to be considerably more trafficked.

Appreciate any input.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try to go mid-week and mid-day if possible. This will lessen the chances of walking into someone's hunt. If not possible, stick to mid-day on the weekend as most people don't hunt the 11am-3pm hours. Also, please wear bright colors to avoid any chances of an issue. Good luck.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt public land a lot and people will walk up and around you. That is just part of public hunting.
And a big heck yes on the orange

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Agree on the orange, no reason not to............interesting though in CO, no orange required by bowhunters, during ML season.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you find an area you don't like, use the back of your knife to scrape the bark off a few small trees (make sure they're living) a couple inches off the ground. That'll be a natural marker to show hunting there is no good.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a fact i never seen deer in those area's where the living tree bark is removed.

So I shouldnt be hunting this area?

4.bp.blogspot.com__UJpp9pUXG7U_SwiMcM7d9vI_AAAAAAAAAvo_TWdPUSgYLmk_s1600_buck_rubs.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom