Interesting "Backward" Bows and Crossbows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't shot one yet, but my neighbor has the Horton Vision, and I can tell you it balances really well and seems to be very good for tight spaces.

As far as hand cocking a crossbow, I would strongly recommend against it, even if you could. I can hand cock my 185lb GT Flex, but I always use a cocking device because of the consistancy. You will find that hand cocking a xbow will create erratic bolt flight.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to use a cocking mechanism on my crossbow, but it was a bit of a pain. I used a marker to mark where my string should properly align and now do it by hand and just be sure that the string is lined up where it should be. As long as it is lined up properly, it is as consistant as I am.

Reaction score
What would be most interesting to me is a scaled down version of that Skorpyd, or another way of looking at it, a "reverse bow" version of the Gearhead.

Take the Skorpyd, make it 3 lbs lighter and a couple inches shorter, with smaller/shorter limbs; make it about 85-90 lbs draw weight instead of 165, so that it can be hand-drawn without a rope device or crank.

Then, you'd have the much better "rear-balance" of the Horton & Skorpyd, with the light weight of the Gearhead and other traditional crossbows, with the longer powerstroke of the Gearhead and Skorpyd. That'd be the pig's feces right there, and you'd probably still be over 300 fps with a 400 gr arrow, with that extra-long powerstroke.

Of course, if the Gearhead x-bow has a better rear-balance than it looks like it would, it would already be complete, and just right as is.

bigcountry, as far as hand-cocking making it erratic (innaccurate) -- if you look at that video (the 2nd gearhead video I posted in post #1), the guys shoots an egg at 50 years, three times in a row, with a field type rest (sitting), in some wind. It doesn't get much better than that (doesn't get much less erratic / more accurate).

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bigcountry, as far as hand-cocking making it erratic (innaccurate) -- if you look at that video (the 2nd gearhead video I posted in post #1), the guys shoots an egg at 50 years, three times in a row, with a field type rest (sitting), in some wind. It doesn't get much better than that (doesn't get much less erratic / more accurate).

Thats interesting.... I'm pretty amazed at the consistancy hand cocking that bow and how quiet it is. It looks a bit big and awkward to me though. Right now that xbow is not legal in OK due to the 100lb min draw weight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom