International travel with guns !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onwmed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get the part about the Customs office being far away...but I think some of the confusion comes from the use of the form 4457.

The 4457 is not to get the firearms out of the country...it's to get them back in when you come home.

You don't need Customs at your local airport because Customs doesn't need to see the firearms at the time you fly out...only when you return and clear Customs for rentry and that will not be done at your local airport.. When you come back, the firearms and serial #'s need to match what's on the form, or you'll have trouble.

So, If you were able to get the 4457 filled out in advance, the system actually works smooth. It took me about 10 extra minutes to clear customs when I came home through New York with a pistol I purchased in Europe....because I had all the paperwork filled out in advance.

I've done this exact same process and it worked flawlessly. In fact, I was shocked when nothing went wrong.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done this exact same process and it worked flawlessly. In fact, I was shocked when nothing went wrong.

I was shocked as well...considering I was essentially in NYC with a handgun. The customs guy racked the slide, looked at my paperwork and asked "you have a permit for this"...to which I replied that I was immediately transporting it out of the state. He said "ok, have a safe trip". And I went about my business.

Of course that was pre 9-11.

50GI Jess

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks SMS and others,
If customs had told me that in the first place, all the trouble wouldn,t had happen in the first place. What a cirkus. I wish different countries would coordinate the rules with one another, so they know each others rules and regulations.
Thanks Jess

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is true. www.ATF.gov There is a 1800# where you can speak to an actual person.

My neighbor was driving his RV into Canada last week and the mounties asked him at the border "Sir, do you have any weapons or firearms onboard?" He said "OF COURSE I DO!" Yeah, he's shopping for a new Glock 19 now as that one was confiscated. He had no idea about the law and he's paying for it now. He was arrested and held for four hours, questioned and released on a SR bond. Luckily he just has to pay a fine (and find a new gun.)

Oh my good grief!! Everyone knows that you can't bring a handgun into Canada. You friend is lucky. Why didn't he check into these restrictions before venturing into a foreign country?

onwmed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh my good grief!! Everyone knows that you can't bring a handgun into Canada. You friend is lucky. Why didn't he check into these restrictions before venturing into a foreign country?

Tell me about it. I have no idea why he didn't ask about this. I didn't ask him why...I think his wife is still pissed for having to bail him out and almost ruining their trip.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell me about it. I have no idea why he didn't ask about this. I didn't ask him why...I think his wife is still pissed for having to bail him out and almost ruining their trip.

Oh yea! I got a whole ration of crap from one of the Canadian Customs agents over 300 rounds of ammo that I declared to bring across. He wanted to know why I needed that much. Kept me there for an hour until I asked for a supervisor. Then finally he said he'd let me go ahead and go but he thought that was an excessive amount of ammo for any one person to have. They can really jack you up and ruin a good day if they want to. I always smile and answer their questions very politely.

50GI Jess

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's always been kind of intimidating being a gunowner who's travelling. I've been in some of the most strange and surprising situations. It seem's like no matter the country or culture, some folks can't understand, why anyone would own and travel with guns..especially handguns.
What I never understood, is why some customs officials, threat you like a criminal, when you're the one taking contact with them about declaring, and making sure all the legal stuff is squared away, before entering different countries.
I mean, why would any criminal first ask the police for permission to rob a bank.....just saying.
Jess

glock girl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yea! I got a whole ration of crap from one of the Canadian Customs agents over 300 rounds of ammo that I declared to bring across. He wanted to know why I needed that much. Kept me there for an hour until I asked for a supervisor. Then finally he said he'd let me go ahead and go but he thought that was an excessive amount of ammo for any one person to have. They can really jack you up and ruin a good day if they want to. I always smile and answer their questions very politely.

I know a customs agent that works on the Canadian border. They really can mess up your whole day if they get a bad feeling about you, think you're lying, or if you're an idiot. He can search whoever's car he wants, at any time, for any or no reason. Or no reason at all. And there's not a thing you can do about it. So your approach really is the only good one. :bigeye:

Latest posts

Top Bottom