Is airgun practce any benefit for uspsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkieron

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wondered if practice with good quality air pistol provided much benefit for competition over dry firing? I live in an area where I could shoot a pellet or bb gun easily when I couldn't go to the range.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chris_Andersen, where are you? Chris has a great airsoft practice setup. He has gotten significantly better in his first year of shooting. He shoots a lot of matches and does live fire practice too but airsoft has played a significant role in him shooting a bunch of A classifiers in under 12 months.
I am buying an airsoft gun like his soon.

Check out BAM airsoft. They make done great targets and know a lot about the guns and gear.

Plus airsoft training is pretty fun. We plan to have an indoor match in our garages in the future.

Chris_Andersen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arkieron,

I see a lot of varying opinions online about airsoft, including that link shared above. But in my opinion it is a great option, coupled with practicing with your real gun. Unfortunately a lot of airsoft resourses you find online turn out to be 14 yr old kids, or people that just dont know how to practice. Go to this link:

http://bamairsoft.com/

They have a bunch of scale steel targets for airsoft practice what are well made, fun to shoot, and pretty affordable. Plus, Phil Burt, one of the owners, is a USPSA A class shooter in a couple of divisions and knows what he is talking about. The airsoft gun I have I got on his recommendation. It runs great, has quite a bit of recoil, is loud enough to be picked up by my shot timer, handles similarly to my STI and fits in the same holster. Email Phil and tell him I sent you. (I am not affiliated with them by the way)

Airsoft is basically dry-fire, with the option of actually shooting at something, so in my opinion the fun factor is much higher. And anytime you can make practicing something more fun, you are a lot more likely to do it. Plus if you happen to be able to do it right at home, all the better.

Thanks,
Chris

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think the original poster was talking about airsoft. He was talking about a BB or pellet gun, which can be a lot cheaper than some of the airsoft stuff out there.

To answer the original question: yes, an air gun would give you some benefit over dry firing, because you get feedback from your target. The shape/size of your group can tell you a lot about what you're doing wrong.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chris, there is an airsoft version of the M&P. Is that what you are using?

What is the legality of shooting airsoft inside the OKC city limits?

B

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Chris, there is an airsoft version of the M&P. Is that what you are using?

What is the legality of shooting airsoft inside the OKC city limits?

B

OKC, not a problem. Edmond, better not remove the orange muzzle cap or it can be a $400 fine. Silly but true. You can shoot them all you want inside city limits, but my recommendation is to keep it on private property within a fenceline. There are a lot of people out there that cant tell the difference between airsoft and real and when the called out policeman arrives thinking someone is shooting a real gun...... Can get confusing quick.. I shoot one and will a bunch more this summer. My 5 year old daughter can get about 1.9 second draws on a 1/2 size ipsc target at 10 feet in the A zone. She is almost ready to give that Jessie Abbate a run for her money! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom