Is chanting "USA! USA!" racist?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a lot of folks are missing the point. If I was an American student with Hispanic origins in my family tree that happened to be going to Rio Mesa... and in a ball game (where already folks had been ejected from shouting stupid stuff as the article states), I'd personally feel like someone shouting "USA" at a ball-game while pointing to me... as if it applied only to their side... as if I wasn't a citizen of the USA... well I'd feel like they were calling me out.

Chanting USA out in patriotism is one thing, but to do it in a ball-game as if it only applies to your team's side is basically saying the other side is not the "USA". I'd wager several members of OSA would fight over being called out as if they weren't a citizen or patriot.

Lipman (the principal) even said "If we're doing it for patriotism, that's fine. But if we're doing it for something else that's racially motivated, I'm not going to allow that."

I don't think the suspension was necessary, and it could have just been overly patriotic kids being a little annoying by running through the gym but keep in mind that the testimony of kids isn't always accurate or trustworthy when they've gotten in trouble.

If it were my kid I'd definitely be up at the school asking questions as to what happened and I wouldn't leave without real answers, but I think a lot of people are blowing this out of proportion (on both sides).

But here is the problem. There is no racist way to yell USA. It sounds as if they do this frequently at games yet none of the forty percent of their own Hispanic student body has complained. And even if the other team wasn't from the US, yelling USA still wouldn't be racist. This is just another case of certain people in the education system trying to make people embarrassed of their own country.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But here is the problem. There is no racist way to yell USA. It sounds as if they do this frequently at games yet none of the forty percent of their own Hispanic student body has complained. And even if the other team wasn't from the US, yelling USA still wouldn't be racist. This is just another case of certain people in the education system trying to make people embarrassed of their own country.

Exactly.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You're missing my point. The 40% of Hispanic members of the student body weren't being called out (or pointed at) as they were on the home-team's side and the other team WAS from the USA. They were shouting USA at the other team (who were largely hispanic-Americans who were from... the USA). Also, I have to point out that we don't actually know that none of the Hispanic members of the Camarillo student body have complained.

I'm not saying that shouting "USA" is racist or offensive, but context does change things.

Let's say you're at the funeral of a family member who died in the line of duty while serving in the Armed forces. If some Hispanic Americans showed up and shouted "USA USA" while pointing at the casket, I'm guessing your first reaction won't be to shout along with them.

Like I said, I think everyone involved blew things out of proportion though.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, I have to point out that we don't actually know that none of the Hispanic members of the Camarillo student body have complained.

And we can say the same thing about students from Rio Mesa. The only people who seemed to have a problem with the USA chant were school administrators.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're missing my point. The 40% of Hispanic members of the student body weren't being called out (or pointed at) as they were on the home-team's side and the other team WAS from the USA. They were shouting USA at the other team (who were largely hispanic-Americans who were from... the USA). Also, I have to point out that we don't actually know that none of the Hispanic members of the Camarillo student body have complained.

I'm not saying that shouting "USA" is racist or offensive, but context does change things.

Let's say you're at the funeral of a family member who died in the line of duty while serving in the Armed forces. If some Hispanic Americans showed up and shouted "USA USA" while pointing at the casket, I'm guessing your first reaction won't be to shout along with them.

Like I said, I think everyone involved blew things out of proportion though.
The funeral thing is a red herring. I served with non-citizens in the military for 16 years. They chose that path to citizenship, as it a shortcut, and I agree with it. Legal way to citizenship.

I'm not sure who is missing the point. The school is in the USA. Any SOB that says chanting USA, USA is not correct needs to go back to "this is my country school" and it is in the USA, and not mexico.

If anybody is offended by this, they need to move back to their home country or learn to assimilate with the population and get permission to be here, with a path to citizenship.
If not, GTFO.

President Eisenhour had the perfect solution.

Latest posts

Top Bottom