Is cheap furniture worth buying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Signut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am needing to buy a couch fairly soon. I looked at a few over at Sunshine furniture over on 71st and Memorial. They had a couple of $300 couches that were pretty comfy but the price just makes me leary. They had another one for $650 that was a recliner couch and it was unbelieably comfordable...but made in China by PRC brand i think? I just cannot afford the American made Flexsteel couches...the $1600 price tag on them is just too high for me.

Opinions on this would be appreciated very much. I live alone and have no pets...so the couch will not overused by any means. I wonder if i can get away with buying a cheapie??

mike
signut

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as you don't expect it to be the same quality as the more expensive stuff, I don't see a problem with it.
I have a couch with a recliner, I won't buy another one unless it has a handle to raise and lower the recliner.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would honestly suggest stalking craigslist for a while. My gf found a very nice near new microfiber couch on there a year ago for free, an attorney was downsizing his home and just wanted to get rid of it. I saw some fairly good furniture on there from time to time for just a few hundred dollars.

When I first moved out of the dorms I had nothing but cheap stuff and we slowly upgraded each piece as we found deals on quality pieces. We were able to sell our cheap furniture pretty quickly and with no hassle.

Signut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah...the craigs list is a good idea but i got burned on that before. The previous owners of the couch had dogs with fleas and i would up tossing the couch.
I have an abnormally strong ability to smell things also which makes anything used a potential allergy problem. I really think i should stick with new stuff... its allways been my best bet.

I kinda intend on sleeping on it from time to time. There is nothing like falling asleep in front of the TV... I like doing that. lol
with that in mind i think i might ought to stick to the middle grade or better furniture. I bought one of those "sauder" tv tables a few years ago and it sagged under the weight of my LG 42" TV. I think the next TV stand will be of my own construction. I don't like how high up most tv stands keep the TV when placed in it.

mike
gn

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Go to Rooms Today or Mathis Brothers in tulsa. Head straight to the back and look in the clearance section. We bought a nice leather couch that was selling on the main floor for 1200 retail, we purchased the same couch with a small (approx 3 inches) tear in one of the cushions for 350.00. Once we got home we used a leather repair kit and fixed the rip and turned the cushion over. We also bought 2 tv stands that retailed for close to 650.00 for around 140 each because they had small scratches on the side. Check during the week for the best deals. Stuff gets added almost everyday.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to Rooms Today or Mathis Brothers in tulsa. Head straight to the back and look in the clearance section. We bought a nice leather couch that was selling on the main floor for 1200 retail, we purchased the same couch with a small (approx 3 inches) tear in one of the cushions for 350.00. Once we got home we used a leather repair kit and fixed the rip and turned the cushion over. We also bought 2 tv stands that retailed for close to 650.00 for around 140 each because they had small scratches on the side. Check during the week for the best deals. Stuff gets added almost everyday.

My wife and I just did the same thing. We had the furniture protection plan and our daughter stained up the cushion real good so they gave us a credit for what we paid for both our couch and loveseat. We headed straight to the back and got a NICE top grain leather loveseat with a tiny hole in the side and they gave us the couch for pretty cheap. They had a ton of great deals back there, especially if you are just looking for one piece. We bought it at mathis brothers but with the protection plan you can use it at either store.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
buy cheap and use, throw away in 3-4 years or sale on craigslist and buy another set. Good sturdy long lasting furniture is a thing from the past unless you can afford 2-3k

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That cheap crap will just cost you what you save in the long run. If a decent couch is out of your budget consider putting it on layaway or financing it. When I was younger I bought most of my furniture that way...it's usually low payments and it'll build your credit as an extra benefit.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would honestly suggest stalking craigslist for a while. My gf found a very nice near new microfiber couch on there a year ago for free, an attorney was downsizing his home and just wanted to get rid of it. I saw some fairly good furniture on there from time to time for just a few hundred dollars.

When I first moved out of the dorms I had nothing but cheap stuff and we slowly upgraded each piece as we found deals on quality pieces. We were able to sell our cheap furniture pretty quickly and with no hassle.
Now a days what you will get is a good case of Bed Bugs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom