Is It Legal To Open Carry At Your Residence?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it legal to open carry your CCW weapon in your residence? Do you have to have a CCL to open carry in your home? And can you open carry outside on your property?

I'm thinking inside is OK and outside is OK if your outside most city limits.

I apologize if this is a repost.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On your own property you do not need a permit. I carry open in my front yard all the time when I am working in the yard during warm weather and don't feel like throwing a cover garment on.

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.oscn.net/applications/OCISWeb/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=275944

You can carry however you want inside your home, but you need a "legitimate" reason to open carry outdoors on your own property.

I must have missed that portion of the review, seems to me that case was about being under the jurisdiction of the SDA in your own home and if the def could be fined for not informing the officers of his weapons. They refered to previous rulings that you cant carry a weapon outside your dwelling on your person w/o a concealed carry license. Even with a CCL you still cant open carry outside your dwelling/business not necessarily your property

stevencmt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I target shoot outside on my property, just outside the city limits. I've even had friends that were police officers talk with me about it and they never told me different. This however doesn't mean that I am following the letter of the law. I'm not sure anyone could catch you during hunting seasons. Of course I'm not in a neighborhood, I'm sure safety wins out in that situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom