Is it my AC or is it just too dang hot?!?!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I think its just the heat. Once the heat of the day kicks in its just tryin its best to keep up and as soon as theres a break in the temp were back down to normal. I'm gonna start turnin it way down in the morning to compensate for later in the day....good idea.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your air conditioner was sized for the heat gain of your house rather than just rule of thumb it may not cool like you think it should when it is really hot outside. This is by design. Usually it doesn't reach these peak temps but a few days a year. This year is just a little unusual temperature wise. If you a/c is sized to keep your house 72 degrees at 105 outside air temp, when it is 105 the a/c will run all of the time, if you try to keep it 72 inside. If the temp goes above the design temp of 105 or if any little thing is wrong, i.e. dirty air filter, dirty condenser it won't keep up and the temp inside will climb.
Some companies will use different design criteria such as 76 at 100 outside air temp. Doing this will make a major difference in your cooling costs at the risk of the house becoming uncomfortable when it is really hot.
If you use 65 at 115 it will cool like a scalded a**ed ape when the weather is like it is now but when the outside temps are in the mid 90s the unit will be oversized enough that you may have excess humidity problems and the unit will short cycle eventually causing problems such as compressor failure.

As far as temperature drops across the cooling coils go, 20 degrees is the max. Some high efficiency units will have temperature drops as low as 13 degrees and still work fine.

There is a lot more than just this stuff going on with an a/c but I have some chocolate ice cream in the freezer I am fixin to get into.

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We live in a 2 year old house that is built to better than Energy Star standards. If we do our part and don't open and close doors a lot it will maintain a temperature in the high 60's, even during the hottest days we've had recently. However, if the temperature rises for whatever reason (we open and close a lot of doors, someone changes the thermostat, etc) then we are stuck at that temperature since the unit will not pull it back down until well after sunset.

itzkwik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your air conditioner was sized for the heat gain of your house rather than just rule of thumb it may not cool like you think it should when it is really hot outside. This is by design. Usually it doesn't reach these peak temps but a few days a year. This year is just a little unusual temperature wise. If you a/c is sized to keep your house 72 degrees at 105 outside air temp, when it is 105 the a/c will run all of the time, if you try to keep it 72 inside. If the temp goes above the design temp of 105 or if any little thing is wrong, i.e. dirty air filter, dirty condenser it won't keep up and the temp inside will climb.
Some companies will use different design criteria such as 76 at 100 outside air temp. Doing this will make a major difference in your cooling costs at the risk of the house becoming uncomfortable when it is really hot.
If you use 65 at 115 it will cool like a scalded a**ed ape when the weather is like it is now but when the outside temps are in the mid 90s the unit will be oversized enough that you may have excess humidity problems and the unit will short cycle eventually causing problems such as compressor failure.

As far as temperature drops across the cooling coils go, 20 degrees is the max. Some high efficiency units will have temperature drops as low as 13 degrees and still work fine.

There is a lot more than just this stuff going on with an a/c but I have some chocolate ice cream in the freezer I am fixin to get into.
Very informative post,depending on the home builder wether they cut corners or not on insultion,windows,etc....., its just freakin abnormally hot and it only takes one little thing in your system for it not to keep up.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
running an ancient ac unit made in the 50's. Chrysler Airtemp originally with a three phase semi-hermetic rotary piston compressor with a Marley water tower.

upgraded about 10 years ago to a modern 5ton Copeland semi-hermetic compressor. original charge took 12lb R-12. that was switched to R-409A, which is zeotropic or a blend of gases. in order to keep correct ratio of gasses. R-409A can only be charged as a liquid.

extremely high efficiency is achieved by combo of running a water tower and three phase compressor. thermo units are picked up due to water will never be above deep ground temps. which stays consistent all year.

just installed a new 10 ton water tower a few weeks ago. the old Marley aquatower finally give up the ghost. 55 years of service... not bad!

struggled with what size tower. finally went oversize by 100% ... my calculations were spot on... right now it's 99f @ 47% humidity outside with 86f inlet water temps with returning temps of 98f for excellent head pressures.

house stays nice and cool ... AC unit is taking continuous 100+ temps without missing a beat. AC unit cycles on and off even during hottest times of the day. Note while the outside water tower is over sized by 100%. 5ton compressor is correctly sized for a 2500 sf house. switched to R414B or Hotshot a few years ago

my electric bills even deep in summer is really low.

Latest posts

Top Bottom