Is it normal to point a handgun...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onslow

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
At your face when you do a mag change?
I always thought this to be dangerous, and coming off your target with the muzzle pointed to the left(for right handers) and not down range, to be a breach of safety rules of keeping the weapon pointed down range.
But that's the way they teach at the classes.
I just notice the first shooter in the vid that ripnbst posted, that's what reminded me of this.

Just wondering what the PRO's here thought.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The weapon should never break 180. No one should be teaching you to point the gun at your face to do a mag change. You tilt your hand so that you can see the magwell, and you put the mag there with your index finger pointing toward the end of the mag, like you're almost sticking your finger into the magwell. But you never turn the gun around to where it's pointing at your own face.

Onslow

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What classes are you referring to. Never heard of something like this ever and if someone is teaching a class this way they are going to get someone killed if they haven't already.

Are you saying they don't teach turning the gun sideways to change mags?
How is that keeping the weapon pointed down range?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turning it slightly and tilting it some to see the backside of the magwell so you can index your mag isn't the same as "not pointing downrange" and "pointing toward your face". If its turned 80 degrees, it's still down range. If its turned 89 degrees, it's still down range. Please tell us what class you went to where they taught you to turn the gun around greater than 90 degrees and toward your own face to do a magazine change. Seriously, you have to name names. This is a major safety concern.

Onslow

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was just refering to the video and it reminded me of the class I took where all instructors tell you to flip the gun sideways to do a mag change.

Do you think the guy in the vid that was posted had the gun 80 degrees?
I would say he is way past that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom